Newbie from North Oregon

joyfulhearts2004

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello. I live in North Oregon and have 5 1/2 acres that were neglected for 15 to 20 years.
I have spent the last 5 years clearing brush, scotch broom and bracken fern, building an a fully fenced garden of raised beds and planting an orchard. I am currently rebuilding the woodshed, finishing the install of an small irrigation system for the orchard and Hugelkultur squash bed.
The rest of the plan is to raise chickens, rabbits and Scottish Highland cattle. I have a vision of growing and using sprouted barley as forage along with pasture and supplemental hay.
I have no desire or time to reinvent the wheel, so am looking forward to learning a lot from all of your experiences.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning and WELCOME, from Texas!

Sounds like you've been busy, busy, busy! What are you planting in your orchard? I'm south of Houston, have goats, chickens, horses, a couple LGD's and an English Shepherd. Lots of nice folks around here. Glad to have you! :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! I live Scottish highland cattle! I don't raise rabbits or cattle but I have chickens and plenty of other critters.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. You've come to a good & helpful group.

Lot of knowledge abounds amongst the members, not always farming either but, many related subjects. Jump in & participate. Oh, yes, we love pictures!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What part of East Texas are you in? I'm from Marshall/Karnack. I really miss home.
We are north of Tyler on 8 acres. We moved here from Livingston 1 1/2 years ago and really piled into getting things done. There was nothing here but a repo doublewide that I redid the inside of. We have been working on fence, 2"x4" non climb horse wire and yes, it is expensive and yes, it is a pain to put up, and YES it keeps our animals in and others out! I can identify with your journey to farming. Do you still have family here and do you ever come to visit? If you do, we are just down I-20 from Marshall!

joyfulhearts2004

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We are north of Tyler on 8 acres. We moved here from Livingston 1 1/2 years ago and really piled into getting things done. There was nothing here but a repo doublewide that I redid the inside of. We have been working on fence, 2"x4" non climb horse wire and yes, it is expensive and yes, it is a pain to put up, and YES it keeps our animals in and others out! I can identify with your journey to farming. Do you still have family here and do you ever come to visit? If you do, we are just down I-20 from Marshall!
I do still have family there in Marshall, and in Copperas Cove, Orange, and Shreveport. I haven't been home in years but am hoping to make a trip down in the next year or two. I'm hoping to take a month off and ride my motorcycle down.
In my opinion, East Texas is one of the best places on earth. Caddo Lake is where I think of when I think of home.
Good luck with your place. It's so much work but I love it and think the end results are worth the work. Besides, I'm definitely not a city girl.

Latest posts