Newbie from North Oregon

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome from Arkansas. Well you sure have put the work in. I've only got chickens and my garden was a dismal failure this year but I'm living in the country which is what makes me happy. You came to the right place to learn country skills. This is my favorite social site.

joyfulhearts2004

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good morning and WELCOME, from Texas!

Sounds like you've been busy, busy, busy! What are you planting in your orchard? I'm south of Houston, have goats, chickens, horses, a couple LGD's and an English Shepherd. Lots of nice folks around here. Glad to have you! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome.
So far, 11 varieties of apples, 3 varieties of mulberries, 3 varieties of plums, 2 fig trees. I'm currently waiting on several filbert trees. I also have grapes (new this year), blue berries, goose berries, strawberries, raspberries and asparagus. Then of course there is the annual veggie garden too.
Funny how sometimes it feels like I haven't accomplished much in the last 5 years, but when I start to list things I feel a little better about it all. Thank you.
I haven't acquired any animals yet because of putting most of my time, money and energy into rehabing a completely unusable pasture. ( bracken fern and scotch broom)
I still try to make sure I have plenty of time with my grandchildren and for getting my beautiful Lacey ( 2011 Dyna WideGlide Harley) out on the road.:D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you make it home to Marshall, we'll have to get together and have lunch!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hugelkultur squash

I don't think I've ever heard of Hugelkultur squash. Is it a heirloom?

I appreciate you sharing with us. This is a fun place full of experience farmers, homesteaders, ranchers, and many like me who just dream of being self reliant. If you have questions, someone will have the answer. Jump in with any ideas or opinions.

Latest posts