Newbie lamb'er

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

I like the length of back and overall balance of the white one from Greenville and the price is good also.

I've known a few folks who tried Royal Whites and the offspring always had hoof issues. I used to want to try them but have no desire to now...it's a breed that had great potential when it first arrived on the scene but didn't catch on like Katahdins have and I wonder if it's due to the hoof problems. One breeder told me they also weren't all that hardy, which is a shame if it's true....they look so good!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it true sheep need to be dewormed monthly?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is it true sheep need to be dewormed monthly?

Nope. That's a great way to breed resistant worms rather then resistant sheep. When that happens, then you have no more options available when they get a heavy worm burden. Then sheep die.

Don't do wool breeds....I've tasted their meat and I'll give it a pass.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't do space book. Never had an account and doubt I ever will.

Could be if one of your family does Fakebook, you could hook into some good deals and get into the Katahdin community in your state. I saw some great deals on there right now and also some good looking lambs for sale.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am trying to talk DH into getting some hair sheep, he is resistant but I think that is because he doesn't really know what a hair sheep is. I found a place that sells meat from their sheep, so I will have to buy some and get him to try it as a first step.
The lady who lived at our place 2 owners ago (about 15 years) raised wool sheep. But she clipped them, washed and carded the wool, natural dyed it and spun it into yarn. Then tried to sell the yarn.

@CrealCritter Aside from the lanolin taste to the meat, if you have wool sheep I think you also have to have someone come and sheer them every year for you.