Newspaper Transplant Pots

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone make their own transplant pots? I started making my own last year after trial and error from using instructions from the Internet. Once you learn the technique, they're not hard to make at all. I've made about 300 already this year- looking forward to getting the garden in and Spring weather!

1554_finished_pots.jpg

A little tip is to spray the newspaper with water when you're rolling or folding it. It makes it much easier to form the pot and keeps it from unrolling and you don't have to use any glue or tape on the pot. The pots hold 3/4-1 cup of potting soil, are fairly sturdy, and pull apart easily when it's time to plant.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We just went to a seed starting class and bought that pot maker. We thought it was a great idea. The woman who gave the class said you can plant the newspaper right into the ground. We are looking forward to using it. Thanks for the tip to spray with water! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Would you mind posting the directions? I am very interested in learning how.

Thanks!

(I'm too cheap to buy a pot maker, but I think they are very cool.)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've used them but honestly not been real pleased -- had trouble getting them to hold together for things that take a long time (6-8 wks) til transplanting, plus my seedlings never seemed to grow as well in the newspaper pots as in other containers.

One needn't buy the overpriced gadgets they sell to make 'em though -- just use an appropriate-sized can or jar. Cut some newspaper strips about 2.5x as tall as you want the pot. Fold them in half lengthwise. Then wrap them around and around the can or jar, with the extra width of the newspaper sticking off the bottom of the can/jar. When the strip is totally wrapped around the can/jar, use your fingers to fold the overhang against the bottom of the can/jar, in several pleats to make a flat bottom, crimping it securely with your fingers. Then slip the can/jar out, give a little tweak to fold the loose end over so it doesn't flap, and fill with soil and plant.

Pat

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make my own pots out of newspaper as well. Mine are more folding than rolling - think oragami-ish - but I tend to like them better than the rolled type. For me, my rolled one always came out really thick on the bottom and I always seemed to just about kill the pots putting them in the ground after tearing aff the bottoms. The ones I make now are only one newspaper page thick on he bottom and it's easy enough to gently tear of the bottom and plop the whole thing in the ground.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great video BBH!

Those are much more involved than the ones I do..but they are also much nicer than the ones I do LOL. I might give those a whirl.

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sorry to be so slow with these instructions- took me awhile to figure out to do the pictures.

Thanks for all the great instructions- I'm going to check them out to see if they are faster/easier to make.

Anyway, here is an example of the type I make. I hope I don't confuse you with the instructions!! If you try to make them and it's confusing, let me know and I'll try to do better :)

Here are the supplies needed to make the newspaper pots:
tin can- 15-16 oz size, end cut out
cup with tapered bottom
spray bottle with water
2 pieces newspaper- large page (~12"x21")
small piece- 1/4 of the large page

1554_100_0787.jpg
1554_100_0788.jpg

Making the Sides
Fold the large page in half length-wise and then again in half length-wise. Spray lightly with water. This will give 4 paper thickness to the sides. Lay the tin can, open side to the left, on the newspaper strip, about 1/2 " from edge of paper. Roll the paper around the can.
1554_100_0775.jpg
1554_100_0776.jpg

At the end of the paper strip, fold up a large diagonal tab, spray the paper protruding from the end of the can and fold over into the can.

1554_100_0777.jpg
1554_100_0794.jpg

Remove newspaper from the tin can and set aside for a minute. The folded over end is the bottom side of the pot.

Making the Bottom

Using the second piece of newspaper, which is 1/4 size of the big page, fold it in half length-wise and again in half lenthwise.

1554_100_0797.jpg
1554_100_0798.jpg

Now rotate the paper 90 degrees and fold in half again. If you make the fold a bit at an angle, it anchors the bottom of the pot better.

Next, push the folded little piece of paper down into the rolled up pot. Do not be too neat here- the bottom edges of the rolled up pot need to be spread out a bit. Then take the tapered cup and moosh the bottom piece into the rolled up pot. And there's your pot!

1554_100_0784.jpg
1554_100_0785.jpg

1554_finished_pots.jpg

If I'm making a lot of pots I will wear lightweight plastic gloves and/or use hand lotion when I'm done- it's drying to your hands.

YardFarmer Julie