Next years self sufficiency project

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ticks said:
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:
Thanks for the advice.
Ipersonally didn't find it alot of work--this was my first time too. And at 8 weeks, my birds were bigger than what they say. Mine dressed out at about 8lbs. whish equals two meals and soup for a family of 4.
I heard that if you let them get a little older, they can dress out a 12 pounds :ep
I hear that if you let them get older--you risk losing them to heart attacks, etc, andrisk them breaking legs.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:
miss_thenorth said:
Ipersonally didn't find it alot of work--this was my first time too. And at 8 weeks, my birds were bigger than what they say. Mine dressed out at about 8lbs. whish equals two meals and soup for a family of 4.
I heard that if you let them get a little older, they can dress out a 12 pounds :ep
I hear that if you let them get older--you risk losing them to heart attacks, etc, andrisk them breaking legs.
yea, Would you still be able to eat thm or no?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ticks said:
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:
If they died before you killed them, I wouldn't. and I wouldn't want to inflict a broken leg on them--kinda defeats the purpose of why you would want to raise them vs. buy them from the grocery store.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:
miss_thenorth said:
If they died before you killed them, I wouldn't. and I wouldn't want to inflict a broken leg on them--kinda defeats the purpose of why you would want to raise them vs. buy them from the grocery store.
right.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
We started with 50, and they do grow FAST...they poop out as much as they take in, so be prepared for double the smell. Yes, they are work like anything else, but you have GOT to watch them. Broken legs, heart attacks, bugs, heat, etc. They produce a lot of body heat from their rate of growth, so you really have to keep the air moving.

The meat is devine, though!! Processing is a lot of work as well, but if you've got some good friends to help, it works out in the end. Mine dressed out at around 8lbs (give or take) at 8 weeks. Not bad!! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pioneergirl gave a good post about the birds....when you read how to feed meat birds on the internet --they feed heavy and push fast....they want the fastest big bird at the fastest rate and yup, all kinds of bird problems.

I did everything slower....I just fed a little less, gave them alot of room not to crowd, was sure not to stress them out etc.

I didn't feed anything special like the internet said to feed these types of meat birds. I fed light and high quality and it took my birds about 10-11 weeks for optium weight but I had no problems at all. I processed some for me and sold the rest in the paper...getting about $20-22 per bird. One customer bought all of them.

But I won't be doing it again any time soon...I have my freezer full for now..LOL