Next years self sufficiency project

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thanx FC...:hugs I think its a learning situation for each person. And I was even told that if I didn't want to process them all at once, I could do some at a younger age and have them as broilers....

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
We started with 50, and they do grow FAST...they poop out as much as they take in, so be prepared for double the smell. Yes, they are work like anything else, but you have GOT to watch them. Broken legs, heart attacks, bugs, heat, etc. They produce a lot of body heat from their rate of growth, so you really have to keep the air moving.

The meat is devine, though!! Processing is a lot of work as well, but if you've got some good friends to help, it works out in the end. Mine dressed out at around 8lbs (give or take) at 8 weeks. Not bad!! :)
thanks, I'm up for the poop. :eek:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pioneergirl--that is so true...when you raise your own you can definitely control the age of processing etc.

at least we don't have to rush..LOL..cause we know it is hard and nasty work to process. (well, at least to me..HA HA)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
For the messy, the chopping would be the hard part. I wouldn't mind gutting, cleaning, etc. I have cleaned MANY birds.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I am truely learning to slow down, FC. The garden will do what it will, when it will. The animals are the same way. I have become a lot more in tune with things around here, as well as myself.

Ticks, I hope you're up for the poop, cause there will be PLENTY!! :th And when it comes to processing, once I got it down (about 20 birds in, lol) it went really smoothly. Heck all but the last 15 I processed by myself. If you get the right equipment, and the right tools, its a breeze.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have raised three batches, 25 birds each, of meat chickens. I will continue to do this as it is a great way to put good meat in the freezer.

I controlled the amt of feed, gave penty of room and lots of water!! The poop is alot but I did not find it horrible. One trick I have learned is that for me they are easier to raise in the fall. I get them in early Aug. It is warmer here then and that means less time under the heat lamp, so cheaper electric bill. Also I begin to butcher a few at a time in early October. Cooler here so no worry of meat spoiling if I am doing it myself and it takes me a bit. We usully get 25 at a time as I said and I butcher 3-4 at a time beginning around 8 weeks and they dressout at around 8 lbs. I have butchered up to 12-13 weeks and the birds were really nice roasters, about 12 lbs!! They were starting to put on a little fat but like I said, they made very good roasters and I plan on doing the same to the ones I am raising now. It just seems to me that even though we are usually busier in the fall it sure makes things less expensive and better timing.

I really liked the cornish cross. In the batch last spring five of them actually became household pets. They are currently about 14 onths old and the only chickens I own that are allowed to freerange 24/7. I do love those 5 birds!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My next year's project will be honey bees, a Dorper ewe, a pair of Embden geese, more flowers and herbs, and more intensive organic gardening.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pioneergirl....for me I am getting close to 50 and I am definitely hitting the exact same sentiments you just posted...LOL

I am slowing down. I have too....hard work over the years can make ya achy and I ain't going into older age with too much achy...HA HA

I have smaller niche gardens for the farmers market...and if for some reason I lose control (like those weeds or any other reason like deer, weather, etc.) I sure don't sweat it anymore. I used to go insane trying to do it all....well if I do "most" of it I smile now.. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
next years project for me

finish working on pond and springs on farm, clearing about 20 acres of dense trees etc. for pasture/crop land AND---actually scaling down on animals. I think I am going to sell at least 1/2 the goats. Feed costs and price per lb. is not a good profit for the work involved. I could plant crops on that pasture land and make tons more money.....so definitely heading toward an easier lifestyle in the years to come.

No more monster projects for me....all the "wanna" do things I had on a list, well I chucked that list..HA HA