NH Homesteader's first kidding season!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhhh, poor Lilly! Probably a good idea to put Peppermint and Patty together and let Lilly have her own place. They're sisters, right?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep! They're quite attached to each other. Both get along well with Lilly too though.

Moms and babies are cuddled up, just went out to check on them one last time tonight. Not too cold tonight but they're loving the heat lamps!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, they're so darn cute when they're all piled together! "Someday" I'll have some babies....

So, ya think Lilly will go tomorrow?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is so cute! I am a big fan of dam raising. They look as nature intended!

I would love if she did, would be nice to have these three done and then a month til Mimosa is due. Do they tend to cycle together in a herd or did I just have weird luck with the twins Peppermint and Patty)?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do they tend to cycle together in a herd or did I just have weird luck with the twins Peppermint and Patty)?
In answer to that question - yes!

I once had 6 or 7 does deliver within a couple hours of each other during a storm that flooded half of my barn. I had stuck one of the does in the feed room because I ran out of kidding pens. That poor doe was standing in 4 inches of water and about to deliver a baby while standing up. Baby woulda landed in the water if I wouldn't have caught her! I was literally jumping from one pen to the other delivering babies! THE. MOST. STRESSFUL day I ever had in all the years I've been raising goats! But, what a fun memory, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah! That's crazy! No thanks on the flooding or having that many kid at once.

Lol, well maybe I'll be lucky and Lilly will kid in the next two days while it's warm.

My two so far have waited until I'm not around. Haven't even seen a baby born yet. Sheesh.

I can't wait to start milking! Eek! Goat cheese! I actually really need to order some supplies... Don't know what I even have left. And DH better get making my cheese press!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My two so far have waited until I'm not around. Haven't even seen a baby born yet. Sheesh.
OH no - those sneaky goats! You've got to see a birth. It never gets old - no matter how many times you see it!

I'm anxious to see how much milk these gals give you.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Awww, congrats on the babies and your "graduation" Loved the pic of the little one :love Gosh, I'm going broody here, I think I need goats too.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
In answer to that question - yes!

I once had 6 or 7 does deliver within a couple hours of each other during a storm that flooded half of my barn. I had stuck one of the does in the feed room because I ran out of kidding pens. That poor doe was standing in 4 inches of water and about to deliver a baby while standing up. Baby woulda landed in the water if I wouldn't have caught her! I was literally jumping from one pen to the other delivering babies! THE. MOST. STRESSFUL day I ever had in all the years I've been raising goats! But, what a fun memory, lol!
Sounds like they heard water births are easier? lol I can't imagine how stressful and crazy that must've been.