NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Smaller yes....not sure about destructive, lol. They learned to pop open the carabiner to the gate - the big gate to the pasture. They got out twice in three days. So, the closest thing I had on hand to double latch the gate with was a giant nylon dog collar. I'm not sure how they did it - but they broke the nylon dog collar. A brand new one. I mean geeze, you can pull a truck outta the mud with one of those nylon straps. No idea how they did that. Now there is a brand new, heavy-duty chain around it and two carabiners.... ugh!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol ok... Just as destructive then! Mine have only ever gotten out once. My goats escape far more often than the pigs!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This was a first (and second) for them. My good neighbor texted me and told me they were out. They were already two houses down playing in the ditch. Thank goodness they know that "piggy,piggy,piggy" means food so they were easy to get back in the pen. SMH....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Crazy pigs! Glad it was your good neighbor who saw them!

One of my hens just bit me in the ankle. What a jerk! My husband is on a mission to round up the troops to butcher. We have 8 cull hens, we think a couple friends have some too. Then we're good til fall, when we'll have the cockerels and turkeys to process.

Today it is hot, humid, and storming on and off. Kind of a gross day. Should clear up tomorrow and be nice all next week!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't want to raise pigs either. I am quite happy buying piglets from those that do raise them. I'm glad to help do my part to keep them in business.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep!! My AGHs were sweet, easy to work with great moms & the boars good from the freezer. :clap But I am glad to have sold them all and at this stage am not wanting to have any more.

Good weather -- hot but plenty of rain, not excessive, have my pastures growing faster than the speed of light! With 12 goats & 20 minis, my feed bill has felt a lot of relief! My 60 chickens free range but, still get some layer mash each day. Four old minis have to have a senior feed as they don't eat much else -- only some nibbles of the brand new growth. I am enjoying less to buy, unload, etc. The new hatches do get some special feed but, that isn't near the numbers of bags of feed for the goats & minis. Egg sales pay for the chicken feeds.

Winter will be here soon enough :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter is welcome here! Temps are moderate and the only negative is rain....but we have rain now too!

My AGH's are so easy. DS and DIL were here today and I was showing them the boar's tusks. Just reached down and pulled his lips back so they could see... he just stood there - opened his mouth like he was waiting for me to put something in it, lol!

He really is a sweetie! Except when he's in the wrong pen - like he was today...sigh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Would someone please remind me why all this homesteading/farming stuff is worth it? Because I am not feeling it this week. Sigh.