NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband will be putting in the hooks in the next few days, we have to scrub and bleach the fridge and then pick a date. We have to do one at a time this way but that's ok, it's a pain to cut up more than one at a time anyway. We will likely buy ice also, because a small fridge has a heck of a time bringing the temp of a whole hog down. It'll keep it down, but getting it there is a struggle. So ready for a break from pigs! Won't have more until next spring!

Looks like butcher date for the chickens will be about 3 weeks from now. Waiting on a friend who has meat birds, so we can make him bring ice and propane. Hey it's our scalder, plucker, electricity and water so he can bring the rest if he wants birds done!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Take pictures of the cutting process! It sure would help some of use less knowledgeable hog cutter-uppers!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will try! I'm always busy helping and keeping the kiddo entertained/away from sharp knives lol but I will see what I can do!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My kid is awesome. Watching some kid tv show with her cousin, a sheep shows up on the screen and she goes "mommy! Is that a katahdin?" I love that she knows this!

Also she's been calling her cousin "city boy", lol he takes it well. She told him she wanted to hunt this fall, to get a deer. He goes "wow you're vicious", her response "I know, they are delicious!" hahaha poor kid didn't know meat came from animals (he's 7). His 4 year old cousin educated him well.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it's AWESOME. She also keeps updating my squeamish family on the status of Clifford's poops. Which, btw are nearly normal. Woot!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BAD NEWS! My tom is dead. No injuries. Just dead. My husband is devastated. He loves these birds.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This happened with our old tom, but he was super old. This one was not super old, at all.