NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, crap!! That's really bad when you want fertilized eggs, not to mention just loosing an animal. Sorry to hear.

I'm seeing several young poults on CL from homesteaders in my area. Some nice birds but I'm just not thinking I want to do the butcher. Don't mind the raising. I'd put a few in the freezer otherwise. Of course it's mid 90s here right now...will feel different in the Fall.

Most are asking $15-20 each for 3-8 wk olds.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That isn't a terrible price, if you buy them from a hatchery they're $12 or so as day olds, but minimum order is like 15.

Not only was he our only tom, but we decided to go with probably the most rare of the heritage breeds and will not be able to replace him until next year. We will use one of his offspring in the spring for breeding but he's related to our hens (and does not meet breed standard) so it'll be all meat offspring, then cull him and we'll be ordering a shipment of new poults. Which will cost us a fortune! Oh well ...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And one of our chicks is missing. Last spotted around the time of the turkey burial.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh oh... hope it isn't the work of the stealthy predator!

Guess the turkey hens aren't laying anymore?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Turkey hens are laying fine. But if I put eggs in the incubator now, I would have to carry extra turkeys through the winter and I don't wanna! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have considered trying to find some Midget Whites. I kind of like the idea that they are endangered and they AREN'T huge!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine aren't huge, maybe 20 lbs? I've heard midget whites are friendly. My chocolates are friendly, my others are not so much. They're hopefully going away soon! Chocolates only now!