NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually really do want to learn how to spin. My aunt is going to teach me. And my daughter already wants to learn. There is a homeschool spinning class she can take when she's 6. I've already got it on my mind!

I do actually have a fair bit of free time in the winter.

See? Now I can get alpacas right??

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanted alpacas badly until..... I stopped off wool at a local wool processing mill and got to talking with the owner. She was very open with me and explained the difficulties they had - and which are typical of - raising alpaca. I was disappointed. I will stick with my sheep instead. :/

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As in health wise? I know people who have had alpacas for ages and haven't had that many issues. Other than the ones who are unfortunate enough to get meningeal worm, which seems more common in alpacas. Some people have major issues with their goats and sheep too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our chocolate hen is not doing so hot right now. She had been separated from our other hens because they are nasty and beat the daylights out of her. Now that the tom is gone she is alone, but within eyesight of the others. The other hens will be gone by the weekend so that won't help her. We are debating putting the 2 chocolate poults we are keeping in with her, but I don't want her to hurt them. I also don't want them to get sick if she is actually sick and something wiped out the tom and her.... Sigh. I told DH maybe put them in a dog crate in with her and see what she does before letting them free with her. Poor dear. She finally ate a little food tonight so I'm hoping she's lonely and not ill.:fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh no... I hope she's just lonely and not sick! Maybe put the chicks in the crate in her pen until she gets used to them? But, like you said, if she's sick that's not a great idea. What to do.....?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually am considering putting in 2 cull hens so she has some company and I don't have a huge loss if she gets them sick. Sacrificial chickens? Problem is, our turkeys really hate our chickens so she might not like that. The chickens act like jerks and push the turkeys around. We're always telling the turkeys to defend themselves! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sacrificial chickens might not be a bad idea! You could always try it and if it doesn't work just yank 'em out. Nothing ventured...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm going to see what DH thinks in the morning. He's the turkey man. Heck he's the bird man, the only birds I'm attached to at all are the dorkings. I would rather get rid of the turkeys and chickens and get ducks instead, lol.

Oh and Clifford is doing great, too. I'm starting to put him back on a little grain tomorrow. He's been having hay and water only and since I put him on least year's hay he's been fine. He's also getting super friendly. Except with my husband. He is the man-handler, shot giver, hoof trimmer and half of my goats don't like him!