NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So now that we have the barn materials here, next mission is butchering a pig. We'll keep the little one a bit longer, she'll grow faster without her sister bullying her and eating all the grain. Then we'll borrow DH's boss' tractor and get a level spot for the barn, and move the chicken coop. And then start building!

I've been organizing and cleaning the past two days. My daughter has WAY too much stuff! Trying to find everything a home. We have a very small house and I have no idea where all the baby stuff is gonna go. It'll be interesting!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek! There is a preschool fiber class coming up this fall! 7 month class and the woman is amazing. I am so getting my daughter in on this! I told her if she likes spinning and knitting that we can get either sheep or alpacas. And she said she'll teach me once she learns, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have dirt floors in all my shelters, from the horse barn down to the chicken tractors. Would dirt work for you, maybe a deep sand?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our soil is kind of clay like, do you not have parasite issues with dirt floors? I'll ask DH about it.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
boy @NH Homesteader have you been busy or what. making a baby is hard work and a big congrats to you and DH. you take care of yourself and let DH do the strenuous stuff. your daughter is going to be a great big sister. and her learning to spin and work fiber is awesome. if you lived closer we'd go see the lady I got one of my LGD's from. she has hampshires and when they shear them they just pile it up in the barn. she tried to give me some but I have't got a need for it. I don't know if Hampshire wool is any good for spinning but she has a barn full of it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey! Good to see you here! Thanks for the congrats! I don't know much about wool sheep breeds, guess I'd better learn (or my daughter will teach me!)

We just got 2 more four wheelers, one is kid sized. Yeah family rides!! Can't wait! (of course I'm probably not supposed to ride, blah blah, so yay family rides eventually)

Headed out on a grain run, which will make dinner late, which I hate. But since I can't lift grain bags (more blah blah) I had to wait until DH was ready. And he's SLOW!