NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That trailer load of lumber is a beautiful picture!

Ya'll have me wanting Cornish now...... @tortoise can you post pics of your F1 and other crosses and tag me? @Beekissed loves her White Rocks and she's just about sold me on them. Crossing them with a Cornish would give me my own meat birds. Do yours grow faster than other breeds?

@Wannabefree I have hatchery Dleawares and I'll replace them with BA's next spring. Then those Delawares can hit the freezer. I don't like them-not one bit!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Mine were breeder stock. HUGE difference! I loved my Dels!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We got our cornish purely to cross with our other breeds for meat birds. We'll see next year how that goes!

Well the slacker built a turkey pen today. He said it's almost done anyway. Good, DH is going to load them up when he gets home from work tomorrow whether he likes it or not. Bye bye turkeys!

Going blueberry picking in the morning! Hope to get a bunch frozen. We eat a ton of blueberries. Not a fan of strawberries. DD is excited, she can't wait for fresh berries!

Now that I am feeling better (most of the time), I'm trying to redirect again. I have been a slacker, mostly food wise, because standing up long enough to cook a real meal was making me ill. Now... Back to our routine.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo - bye ye turkeys for sure! I'm jealous of the blueberry picking. Wish we could get 'em fresh around here. I've even got three bushes in the back yard, but I've never gotten more than a handful of berries - EVER - ALL COMBINED! I just can't get the formula right, or the weather, or the soil, or whatever else I'm doing wrong. My mom, about 50 miles from me (inland) used to grow em by the bucketful.

Glad you're feeling better!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ME TOO! Lol

I don't know a ton about growing blueberries. We were going to plant some this year but we skipped out on long-term planting due to our unknown future plans. I want to do some high bush and also some of the wild, low varieties. They're really native to Maine and just spread. They're really small berries but are delicious!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
wow @tortoise I couldn't ask for nicer chickens. isn't that weird, same source different attitudes. some of the hens will come up and eat grain out of my hand and the roo has never been aggressive. mean roos go in the pot here.
well, is the barn up yet kiddo? I hope you are taking care of yourself.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha, nope barn will be a while. Need to borrow a tractor to make a flat spot where it's going. And DH has been working a lot. As long as it's up before winter I'll be happy. So will the goats!

Gotta get moving. I'm not used to getting up and rushing out the door!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0801170930a.jpg
Mmmm blueberries! And plenty left to ripen for another visit soon.