NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Great plan! So, whatcha gonna get? Clifford will prolly figure it out - and if not maybe you can find a depression in the ground, or a couple hay bales for him to get up on. Where there's a will - there's a way!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I need a nigerian buck, but that was in the budget already. So it'll probably be another mini alpine doeling. I want a golden guernsey but the closest ones are in Maine and I won't be up for a 4+ hour (one way) drive for quite a while! Or, I might get a full size alpine if DH can be persuaded so I can make my own F1's (and have milk to spare!).... Decisions....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah DH is not interested in an alpine lol. Maybe I'll keep a doeling and be ahead of the game.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
So DH and I are thinking instead of getting sheep we should set aside the money we would have spent on their hay and spend it on another goat in spring. Because I REALLY love goats and they're also edible lol.
This sounds like a good idea!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Clifford is giving his wether pal a rough time... Lol. He certainly knows his job, anyway... I do see why people say to get 2 bucks instead of keeping a wether friend. That's gotta get old fast!

Going to set up the big brooder today, and move the turkey pen to fresh grass. Meat birds will come any time from Wednesday to Friday and DH will likely be working so I'll have to go get them and I need the brooder ready. I hate raising meat birds but we gotta eat! And it's better than the grocery store.

Pork rib and baked bean cookout with my parents today (our pork). Mmmmm

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those boys, those boys!

Yep - meaties are creepy, but they ain't bad eating - especially if they get to free range some.

Enjoy the cookout - sounds like fun! guess ya'll have some beautiful cool weather to make that cookout even more enjoyable?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's actually back up close to 80 and sunny. Yesterday was 55 and rainy. I feel like I have weather whiplash lol! Our meaties have been delicious, no complaints there!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The last batch I had was really good and they got to free range their whole life. I started them in a chicken tractor that got moved every day - so they were semi-free ranging from day one. As soon as they outgrew the brooder light (which doesn't take long in the summer around here) they got turned loose until the day the met their end. Yum, yum, yum. If my life ever gets back to normal I might raise some more - maybe in the late spring next year.