NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol perhaps she's looking for something a little more... Mature. Smellier. Cliff's only 5 months old and he doesn't pee on himself (yet?) so he's apparently just not doing it for her. Goats are gross.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think I spoke too soon... This afternoon I noticed Clifford is awful wet on the back of the front legs and rib cage area and I'm pretty sure it's not water. Ewwwww I can hold out hope someone headbutted him into the water bucket and he landed uh... In it. In only the areas that are accessible by peeing on one's self. Right?

Goats are gross. Again.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are. I just told DH I never thought I would be happy to have an animal that pees all over himself and stinks ip the whole yard (not yet but he will in future years). But I am a dairy-holic and aside from bucks in rut I LOVE my goats!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They are a bit loveable, aren't they? Just a bit…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only a little! I like the pig too, but goats are just so sweet and crazy, rather entertaining animals. It's going to be hard to butcher any. I'm actually planning on leaving the horns on any wethers I have so I force myself to put them in the freezer. I can't handle horns long term, but they can spend a few months eating brush in a separate pen until we eat them!

Better get to schooling- DD is learning how to put letters together and read 3 letter cvc words (so proud of herself, she can read cat, hat, pat, etc lol). Then grocery shopping and I'm having a craving for chicken broccoli alfredo, so that's up for dinner. Mmmm hardly ever eat stuff like that!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Leaving the horns on is a pretty good idea to force yourself to butcher. I might have to try that myself...I hate disbudding! But, I hate horns more!!

Your DD is so stinking' smart!

Alfredo sounds delish...except my tummy has not been happy for a couple days now. However, for Alfredo I might tell tummy to just suck it up, (literally) lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know how to disbud and I don't want to learn. Pretty sure the vet charges at least $20/piece so no sense disbudding meat wethers for that price!

My husband has been buying coffee and lunch all week. That is not going to fly with my budgeting. So I went out and bought him 2 thermoses and some ice packs and I need to get in the habit of making him lunch because apparently he's not planning on it. So he will get soup and sandwiches once the weather cools down. I can't stomach the prices to buy food every day!

I guess we are getting a pig to butcher soon. She's only about 200 lbs, our friend raised her and he's trading DH her for some labor. Guess I'll have to make some room in the freezer, we have chickens going in there soon too! Eek!

Supposed to be 91 on Sunday, then down to a high of 63 on Friday. Yay NH... I hope this is the last of the heat cause I'm all done.