NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well it is but it's never turned on. This group of chickens is fat and lazy and they don't jump well, lol. Ok they're not that fat but I'm comparing them to my EE's who have to have a cover over their pen. They'll be in welded wire before winter. The younger ones escape but they get back in at night so whatever. Really, as long as it keeps my Dominique roo in ... We're good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I got motivated this morning and fenced the big chickens in the garden. With poultry netting, for those concerned folks lol. Now I just need DH to help me catch the stragglers, and 4 of them go in the freezer (plus 4 cockerels) next weekend.

Off to make applesauce now.

Currently 48 degrees here, high of 51 today they say! It's chilly!
Chilly you say? Heck fire, here that is considered winter!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought I posted this reply this morning but apparently it never posted...

Meaties are good. Well one died but the rest are good. I just hope they grow out in time! I need to start putting more feed to them.

Aaand today DD had her class, we went grocery shopping and to the town library.. Then I was looking for something (still missing) and stumbled upon DH's winter clothes. So I dug out a bunch and started doing laundry. It's about that time of year!

DH hurt his back, it is NOT good timing for a back injury!! He's working but it's killing him and I'm desperately trying to do as much as I can so I only have to ask for help for things I seriously can't do.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have had a busy day! How was class?

Hope DH's back gets better QUICK! He doesn't have time for that. :(

Glad the meaties are doing ok...Hope they pick it up for ya!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Class was good. They do a nice job and are good about being flexible when kids have a tough time. DD hasn't done well in other classes we've tried because they're too rigid for her. These ladies are awesome. They would make good special ed teachers (I notice these things, lol)

No, DH does not have time for it at all!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope DH's back gets better soon. How are YOU two doing?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good, no complaints. When the heat left so did my migraines (woohoo!) I'm starting to be a little less graceful lol. As if I was graceful to begin with!

I'm a little stressed about getting everything done before snow flies though. If I wasn't going to have goats kidding in early (still cold) spring, I would be much calmer but I NEED that barn! We can build it in cold weather I guess but we need the site work done soon.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So none of my birds are laying right now. Turkeys are off season, and my chickens are either too young, too old or molting. Feeding them every morning and evening gets old when you get nothing in return! Culling 8 this weekend but I have one more in my sights so maybe 9! That'll get us down to.... 19? I think...