NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lucky dogs! I know they'll love that. I cook rice/leftovers/eggs for the dogs too when I need to clean out the fridge - especially when it's cold. They love it!

The dorkings I butchered were probably a bit older than yours - but they had a nice long breast - not as full as a Cornish X - but pretty darn good. I think that would be a great cross with a Cornish.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They do appear to have a more substantial breast than other heritage birds, of course nothing like a cornish cross.

Well I made venison stew, am finishing cooking down applesauce, swept the whole house, did 2 loads of laundry, finished shrink wrapping the chickens and got them in the freezer (at the 24 hour mark!), and am about to make some corn muffins. Remember how I was going to relax today? Nah. Haven't even gotten DD's schoolwork out today. Oops!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well - for not feeling good you've been accomplishing a whole bunch!

You've given me the Dorking 'bug' again. I still have some hens, but no roo's. I've been on Dick Horstman's website again. He has beautiful birds...a little pricier than hatchery, but such nice quality. Some time ago I bought Red Dorkings from him and they are outstanding birds in every way...just gorgeous. I'm thnking about ordering some more.

Eggs are $25 a dozen + 15 shipping = 40 bucks. Not bad - but shipped eggs...all the way from PA...I dunno. Chicks are $8 - but they're already hatched, lol. Minimum order of 12 x 8.00 + 15 shipping + 7 for an order less than 25 chicks..... = $118 for 12 birds. I dunno. I'm gonna think about it some more. But, I do have two broodies right now... hmmmmm.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hmm lol. I'll keep him in mind for when we get more. Murray McMurray actually has decent silver greys for a hatchery. Their cornishes are nice too, our roo is beautiful. We are only ordering turkeys this year, we say lol! We need more and it's going to cost closer to $200 to get the minimum order of poults shipped here (unless we can get a friend to go in on an order with us). I won't buy eggs, turkeys are too hard to hatch.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well looks like DH doesn't have to work today.... Sounds like we can get some farm work done! Trying not to throw my to-do list at him. That tends to make him irritable, lol.

We for sure need to get the freezer/meat locker contraption set and make sure it's clean to butcher the pig, and move the meat birds and turkeys to fresh grass. I would love to do Clifford's hooves also but we'll see if DH has any interest in being that close to the stinky one.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
What I'd do is something like "I need to do XYZ today, would you like to help me?" Or something along those lines… Success rate depends on exactly what XYZ involves and the man in question of course, but it's usually effective ;)

How are you two doing otherwise? (Not DH, new human)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on DH being home today! Hope you can gently guide him to the chores that most need doing. My tactic is to start something myself and then be a little helpless, lol. Works every time!

Can't blame him if he balks at doing hooves on a stinky buck! I don't even like to get close to my bucks this time of year - barf! :sick

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope that doesn't work with him because he thinks it's passive aggressive. It works better to say here are some things we need to do ASAP, and here are some things we have pending that need to be done soon. And let him pick and choose which he feels like doing, lol. But it it must be done, he doesn't grumble (too much!)

All's well with me and future little human. Nothing new or interesting to report. Just slowly getting more awkward and uncoordinated! Lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope you two (DH this time) gets a lot done today.

:hugs I remember that awkward stage! Near the end of my pregnancy I was so huge, DS entered rooms before I did.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well DH and I looked over at the goats a minute ago... Just in time to see Clifford peeing all over himself. I said well, now is probably not a good time to ask if we can trim his hooves today. DH said nope, nope it's not. Lol so... On to plan B.

He's working on the pig freezer first, he's putting in a second thermostat so he should be able to switch it from freezer (to cool the meat down fast) to fridge (to hang at temp for a few days). Then moving the meat bird and turkey pens. Anything else we get done will be a bonus. Poor piggy really struggled getting up this morning, we would like to butcher soon.