NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In all my years of goats I've only seen one goat that got Ketosis. It was a very over-conditioned pygmy doe (not mine). I was going to a show in Oklahoma and I stopped and stayed with some friends north of Dallas on the way. Their doe got very ill and went down that night. We got her to a vet and left her there because we had to leave for the show the next morning. Vet saved her and she delivered that weekend.

I also had very over-conditioned pygmy goats, lol. I think the difference is that my goats were forced to exercise. I never kept my show string penned like a lot of people did. I made mine go out to pasture every day and I think the exercise kept them healthier.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Clara is doing a little worse today. Limping, she occasionally will yelp and then try to climb in my lap and shake. I am afraid of Lyme, we have serious tick issues here. It seems that she will favor different legs different days. Can't tell if any joints are swollen and can't feel any swollen lymph nodes. Either way, we'll be making a vet appointment. With the normal vet. Not the crappy emergency vet. Sigh.

Learned how to do blood sugar stuff today. Checked my sugar levels after lunch and they were perfect. That's a good start.

Almost dark here, better go feed those critters!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, poor Clara....I hate that she's not shaking this off. Hope it's not Lyme.

Blood sugar stuff isn't so hard once ya get past the finger prick! That's not so hard either, but it's also no fun. Just keep thinking that it's temporary..it's temporary!

Glad to hear you were in the normal range - you must be doing something right!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope it means I'll be a diet controlled patient, and I just need to chill out on the birthday cake lol! I mean.... We had two family birthdays and Halloween right before my tests. That can't be helpful, right?

Having a day where I feel like farming is a dumb idea, when there are grocery stores full of food lol. NO. I don't truly feel that way. I just haven't been sleeping well, the dog is sick, I'm sick of feeding the pig and meat birds... And my barn isn't up yet. Plus my Jeep still isn't fixed so, just flustered and after being awake half the night last night, I just hope for a better one tonight.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel your pain! I slept decently last night but I'm sagging at work this afternoon. Yep - lay off the b'day cake and Halloween candy and I'll betcha you'll be good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope it means I'll be a diet controlled patient, and I just need to chill out on the birthday cake lol! I mean.... We had two family birthdays and Halloween right before my tests. That can't be helpful, right?

Having a day where I feel like farming is a dumb idea, when there are grocery stores full of food lol. NO. I don't truly feel that way. I just haven't been sleeping well, the dog is sick, I'm sick of feeding the pig and meat birds... And my barn isn't up yet. Plus my Jeep still isn't fixed so, just flustered and after being awake half the night last night, I just hope for a better one tonight.

There is nothing in the grocery store that is a s good or healthy as what you raise. And you know that.....those MRE's in colorful boxes per Swanson's can look tempting after a stressful day..... I keep a few frozen pot pies on hand.....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I do know that! We had chicken for dinner- a dorking cockerel. Delicious! DH said the dark meat was a little tough, but that's likely because they actually ran around their whole lives! The breast meat was.... Amazing. Happy, delicious, healthy chicken. I do believe in what we do. I just get sick of it some days. That means it's time to watch Food Inc again, that'll cure me! The book I just read about antibiotics in our food helped too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man... I'm a little jealous of your Dorking. I just might have to get some more... I miss my little short squatty birds with breasts that go on forever!