NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's more aggressive than my Dominique. Actually, in the winter my Dom is a doll. He gets jerk-ish during breeding season and then he calms down and just wants food all winter, lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Whenever I need to catch a difficult bird, I sneak up on it at bed time or first thing in the morning, before letting them out. Makes it so much easier!

Glad your DH got some sleep finally.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh they're all locked in still. Not about to try to catch them while they're loose! DH is good at catching them on the run but it's no fun!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tell your hard working husband that he is brilliant for checking on having the pig slaughtered. He doesn't have time and it would take away from his working, sleeping, working...... LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol well I figured out how much it would cost, and how much he makes per hour, and how much time he would have to take off work to do it himself... Plus showed him our weather forecast (Yeah news flash it's cold!) and he's given in. And he's kind of in a rush now too because she's the only one I can't take care of by myself, so he has to come home and feed and water her between jobs. I can't get in her fence, and I can't even reach over her fence to get her water dish anymore, belly's in the way! Lol! She also requires more water than I can comfortably lug. The goats and poultry are way easier to deal with.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woo Hoo - logic and mathematics save the day! It really will take a load off of both of ya. I've got two I wanna do - but I haven't even called the slaughter house cuz I figure they're over run with deer this time of year....and I want DH to help me do them. I always dread starting it - with any critter I dread getting started. BUT, when the killin' is done there's no other choice but to get to butchering.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Our hunting season ended the 3rd, and hardly anyone raises pigs this time of year so they're not very busy this time of year up here!