NH Homesteader's journal

Devonviolet

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took so much drugs for the infections (I heard they can cause miscarriage if untreated), I was rattling when I walked.
I had my 1st bladder infection when I was 20. I won't say how old I am. But does "older than dirt" ring a bell? :lol: Over the years I have had more than 100 bladder infections. :ep The antibiotics stopped working. :th

Then, 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with Lyme disease with a co-infection, Babesia. The doctor, who diagnosed it gave me high powered antibiotics over 6 months. It didn't get rid of the Lyme symptoms (Lyme is not curable, its only possible to make it go into remission). But, what the antibiotics did do, was cause me to cause me to have 24/7 tinnitus (ringing in the ears).

Goats don't sound much like fun sometimes! lol All this kicking and peeing :confused: Mind you, I used to work on a dairy farm and the number of times I nearly got peed on and kicked…
Yes, it can be frustrating, when the girls kick, in the milk stand and when having hooves trimmed. But, they really aren't aiming for me, like cows are known to do. But, sometimes I can't help but wonder if they don't try to get that back foot in the milk bucket!!! :barnie

I have come to love my girls. They have a way of looking at me that says they love me too! :love
image.jpeg

At least they don't kick at you, they just kick to be uuncooperative. Cows are scary, I would be afraid of milking a cow because they will kick at you! And the bucks... Well I think you get used to it. It used to gross me out but it doesn't really anymore.
Actually, it doesn't take too long to get used to the "fragrance" that bucks adorn themselves with. That's not a problem when it's just you & the goats. The problem comes when you go out in public. That buck perfume is all over you & everyone can smell you - from 20 feet away! :lol: :th
I guess it depends on how much you like goats!
I LOVE MY GOATS!!! :love

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol that is possibly true that everyone thinks I smell terrible.... I suppose I have to rely on my friends to inform me of that!

I really love my goats too. Even the ones that aren't particularly interested in me unless I have snacks. They're getting better!

Had an appointment this morning, had to bring DD but she was good and we got a surprise ultrasound so that was fun! The midwife couldn't tell for sure which way baby was facing so she ran over to the birthing center with us and did a quick check. I am now on weekly appointments. Oh and my favorite midwife is out until March so I'm kind of bummed.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
am now on weekly appointments. Oh and my favorite midwife is out until March so I'm kind of bummed.
Dontcha hate that? I went through my whole 2nd pregnancy with the doc that I expected to deliver me....wouldn't ya know it he was out of town right at the wrong time and I was delivered by someone I'd never met....ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They make you see everyone at my office so it won't be a stranger! There's only one I don't like so let's just hope it isn't her. I feel really awful for the one that's out because her son has a brain tumor. He's OK but has a long recovery ahead of him from the surgery (they got everything out).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well 5-8" of snow forecast for today, it's coming down already. I don't even care because DH is home until... Well his boss wants to make snow late Monday night but he's hoping he changes his mind... So 4 days home anyway!

On the docket for the weekend - hoof trimmings for 3 goats, CDT for one goat... And fix the turkey pen because they're idiots. They're destroying the tarp that is their windbreak because they don't like that they can't see out all sides of their pen. So DH is going to put plywood around the bottom so they stop ruining the dang tarp and maybe they'll stay warm this winter.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If he does it won't be until DD and I are in bed, so at least there's that!

Silly turkeys is right! I'm researching and trying to design a good permanent pen for them with more space. In the meantime, plywood it is! Lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well now they've upped the snow forecast. Now it says to expect an additional 8-11" on top of the 2 we've gotten this morning already. Yay?

If anyone is curious, I do not recommend Cornish chickens for novice bird keepers. Holy smokes. When we shut them in the coop, the rooster tries to smash through the door in the morning. And today I walked by his pen and he flew at the fence trying to attack me. He's psycho, and he is NEVER going to live outside his fortress lol! I now appreciate my other rooster!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I think I mentioned that about Cornish roosters? Psycho.

Mine is calming down somewhat. He has been evicted from the hen pen all summer and has been fighting (not literally!) with about 20 other roosters. He seems to not be the dominant cock anymore. I'm sure he'll be back to psycho this spring when he gets to go live in the hen pen and breed the ladies.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! He's not fully grown so I'm pretty sure he'd start a fight with my Dominique, who is rather aggressive when he wants to be also, so it would not be good (for the Cornish). My Cornish lives with one Cornish hen for now, he doesn't beat on her but I don't dare put any more other breed hens in there with them. My other hens are so docile.