NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're hoping to get some from a breeder and maybe we'll end up with a more pleasant one! I rarely interact with him and he is in a pen so it's not a huge deal. The hen is nice though!

My husband doesn't like muscovies so those aren't going to happen! I have my eye on some silver appleyards. There's a breeder nearby that conveniently has both Dominiques and silver appleyards. Hmm.... Could be our poultry order for the year!

We used to smash a hole in the ice in the stream twice a day for our ducks. All winter long. They were spoiled little things and I don't miss doing that chore!

Good to see you here, come back more would you?

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've never had issues with birds in the cold so this is a first for us. But since the roo died our first cold snap and she just flopped over during our 2nd one, I would say don't buy them from Murray McMurray if you live up north! My husband doesn't know yet, he's going to be bummed. They were a big part of his breeding plan.at least his Cornishes are doing well. We've pretty much named the roo Gengis Khan. @tortoise won't be surprised lol!!

Thanks FEM, I'll bookmark that for when we're ready to order some. Not this year I don't think.

Ah, no worries about Murrays here, even if I wanted to order from a big hatchery there's no way it's cost effective to get live birds across the boarder!
The local breeder/small hatchery near me sells Dorkings, so I'd probably get it from them, unless I found an even better breeder even closer to home.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I always forget you're not in the US! Why can't my brain figure that out? If they breed them locally they might be better developed for cold weather? I'm done with hatcheries. We have chosen our breeds and now we only order from breeders!

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If they breed them locally they might be better developed for cold weather?

I would think so! Though some fancier breeds may be housed in warmer coops, I'm not sure.

And don't worry about not remembering, I'm terrible at remembering details on forums, though I'm getting better here because it's a fairly small group :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool I'll definitely check him out. DH got mad when I suggested maybe sticking with the other 2 breeds and said he would try to devise a warmer coop for the Dorkings when we get them again. Uh... Fine, but I am NOT paying to heat them all winter long if that's what he's thinking! My winter electric bill is already brutal keeping us warm!

-10 this morning, pipes are frozen. Fortunately I filled the bathtub last night so we could water the animals before DH fixes the water. I got new heat tape so hopefully once he puts it on we'll be good. Supposed to be -20 Monday night! He's home for a few days, so I told him today all he needs to do is set up a butcher date and make our water work! I'll have a longer list tomorrow, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going on a shopping trip for insulation for the pipes, heated waterers (Yep sick of ice!), and assorted cold weather items. Yay love shopping for the farm with DH!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Enjoy! Hope you find everything you need.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Minus 10? Minus 20? Oh HELL NO!!! I can go to my air conditioned car from my air conditioned house to an air conditioned store. Let the 100 degree days roll! But MINUS temperatures are not happening here! NOPE!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
And I thought it was cold here this morning when it was 15 degrees...miss my animals yet so glad I have none right now...

Latest posts