NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I forgot we can't run power to the coop and the barn at the same time without overwhelming the circuit so, sorry chickens but goats win. I couldn't stomach the prices at the feed store so I made a Jeffers order with a heated bucket included, instead.

Did get some corn for the chickens and some beet pulp to soak in hot water for the goats. We got everything else we need for our pipes and to finish our master bathroom. Now DH is working on the pipes and I'm headed out to start chores. It's about - 3. Well it was before it got dark. No clue what it is now. Brrrr!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yep - goats win! Glad DH is working on things....hope he's able to stay home for a few days until this mess passes. We're supposed to get pretty darn cold in a few days too (for here). Geeze.... I don't wanna do cold!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like he'll be home for a while. It's actually too cold for them to be up on the mountain! Once he gets the heat tape on, plus extra insulation, we should be all set. He couldn't get the pipes thawed tonight but thats his mission first thing in the morning. That and calling the darn butcher!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not here. My husband charges $5/chicken and $10/turkey unless he's doing it for someone he knows pretty well. And I think that's about average. It's just not worth doing it for less.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heat tape and insulation worked its magic overnight, woke up at 6 am to running water! DH is thrilled he doesn't have to fight with it today, and I am thrilled to do laundry and dishes lol. Amazing how fast I get buried in clothes and dishes.

So 2 missions for today- get a butcher date and set up an appt to get the Jeep fixed. It's - 12 out there currently so we'll be doing lots of water lugging too. Gross.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well, it is a lot of work and yucky work, so that's a fair fee. Glad your DH is able to stay home for a bit now. I hope you two will get a few more things off the list now!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Heat tape and insulation worked its magic overnight, woke up at 6 am to running water! DH is thrilled he doesn't have to fight with it today, and I am thrilled to do laundry and dishes lol. Amazing how fast I get buried in clothes and dishes.

So 2 missions for today- get a butcher date and set up an appt to get the Jeep fixed. It's - 12 out there currently so we'll be doing lots of water lugging too. Gross.
That's great! You go easy on the water lugging, lady!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I've started doing it 2 gallon water jugs at a time. It takes 3-4 trips but when DH isn't home and the outside spigot is frozen it works and I don't overdo it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's a lot of walking up and down in the cold. I'm a bit worried about the ice and you slipping out there and hurting yourself, especially now. (Yeah, I know, mother hen me!) We used to keep a tank with water near the pig pens, so I didn't have to walk too far with water for them, but I suppose if everything is freezing over, it's not going to help you, unless you can cover it/insulate it somehow?