NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's not really icy, just snowy! But no, there's really no way to keep water out there without it freezing. DH is home for a while, the pig will be gone soon... And I won't be pregnant for long either lol! Doc said she doesn't think I'll make it to my due date.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
All true! All this and winter will be over and done with soon enough. And you'll have a beautiful new baby girl very soon :love Did you pick a name for her yet and if so, can you tell us what it is?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
AT LEAST you now have running water to fill the jugs :lol:

Yeah, sick sense of humor but, so true! This haul hot water stuff is NOT fun but, a part of our obligation to the animals. I've got a couple inches to hammer thru on the big troughs and it's nowhere near as cold as you all have it. Such crap. I really hate to be cold. My old body says to stand by the heater. As I think that, I just look at the animals and plug on. After all, they did not ask to be here. They're all healthy & not shivering but, sure looking for the South side of a building with sunshine warming things up some.

I walk into their sheds/barns and can feel a huge difference in temps, so I know they are ok -- just makes me feel badly for the weather. They have great winter coats & body systems that help to warm them. Lots of hay makes it work (digestion heat) and heavy shavings/hay to curl up into.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Using a big trough is an issue here without a heater! We use smaller buckets, all of them I can pick up to bang out ice. They were all frozen solid through this morning. It's going to be brutal like this through next week it looks like.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll make me realize how good I have it......

What did people do before electrical tape? Did they dig a well in the barn?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just did chores, it's currently 0 degrees and forecast says - 15 later tonight. I just asked my husband to remind me why we didn't move this summer. Seriously. It's getting old. We don't usually get this cold for this long.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's about 35F here, but the wind is making it feel much colder. Snow predicted for tonight. I cannot imagine living in your temperatures…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Uh yeah our friend talked to the butcher today. He wants $. 75/lb to cut and wrap. I don't think so! Guess I'm gonna be calling around, that's a bit steep.

My crazy MIL called tonight. Her pipes are frozen. When DH missed the phone call (because he was working on finishing our bathroom), she called his friend and asked if the two of them would go over there! At 8pm?? She can live with frozen pipes for the night, like the rest of us do. It's not like she doesn't have heat, that he might rush over there for. Not for water!

Ugh. DH has to work at the mountain for a few hours tomorrow. He's dropping the Jeep off and meeting a coworker on the way. At least that's moving along!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh no, that is way too much. Hopefully you can get someone to do it for you for less.

My MIL was the same. Yelled for DH for absolutely everything, even when she accidentally changed the channel on her TV from the one she always watched :rolleyes:

I hope your DH won't have to go work too much over the coming days, especially when the little one decides to come!