NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH and his boss have an understanding. He is working nonstop now so we can afford for him to stay home as long as I want/need, and when he does go back to the mountain he will likely not work overnights for the rest of the season.Unless I am fine and don't care.

These people charge a fortune for butchering in part because it's vacuum sealed. I don't care about vacuum sealing.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
O.K. that's good then and nice of his boss to let him do that. So when you get tired of him you can send him out to work ;)

I wonder if they'd let you do the packing of the meat and just charge you for everything else? When I butchered pigs I took the carcass to the butchery in town and they charged me a small fee for hanging it and then cutting and processing it the way I wanted it (bacon and sausages cost a bit extra, but not much). I had the option of having it packed, but preferred to do it myself at home.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah this price also includes sausage mixes and everything. Which is fine, if you want them to do that. But I want straight ground pork back because I like my sausage better!

I don't know, if we don't find a much better price I might pay it solely because our friend is bringing 3 pigs there, most likely live, and we can just load her in his trailer and not have to deal with figuring out how to get her somewhere else. Plus he doesn't have a long wait time, and he is the closest butcher by many miles. And I'm all done with having a pig. I don't even want pigs in the near future. I don't want pigs ever, lol. That's how I feel about pigs right now!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Pigs are lovely to eat, but they can be a pain in the rear and I can imagine now, when it's so cold… It may be best then to just close your eyes and open your wallet and get that piggie in the freezer. Hassle gone and a freezer full of meat :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We received a fairly significant financial gift recently so I feel less crummy about it knowing it's money we wouldn't normally have that we're spending too much of, lol!

I still want to get sheep and trade lamb for pork. All our friends raise pigs, why do we have to? Right.... I won't get far with that I don't think. I have been very supportive of DH and his poultry ventures so maybe he'll give me a break on pigs lol (yeah... Maybe...)

I don't even want to talk about how much hay I'm going through with this cold snap. I have to use it for pig bedding on top of feeding free choice to the goats and putting it in the coops. Gonna have to get another few round bales here pretty soon. Good thing we can get it delivered!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sometime it's just worth it to get it done... But, I hear ya on being over pigs, lol. It's so muddy here and the pigs sure make it worse. I've got two young boars penned up and I have to put dry hay down every time I feed them just to pour their feed on...their pen is too muddy for me to even go in and fetch their feed pans Heck, those pans may be in China by now, lol! Thankfully, I've got a bunch of hay this year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just came in from doing chores and thought it wasn't too cold today. Yeah... It's - 5. Kind of sad when that doesn't feel so bad! Gotta get some more hay in the turkey coop when DH gets home, they're the only ones who looked cold. I wish they would eat corn, but they won't.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Duh DH's friend is an idiot. Dude charges $. 60/lb to cut and wrap and$. 75/lb for sausage. That's about average here.

DH is home until Wednesday or so. Working on the to-do list... It's getting shorter! Woo-hoo! I mean... There's always more to add but the absolute necessities are getting done. Master bathroom is about to have a working sink. It still needs a face-lift but at least it'll be a perfectly functional bathroom finally!

Latest posts