NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My AGHs were great -- to handle and to eat. They do NOT grow out in the 6 months of full sized ones. I'm pleased that I sold the sows & babes most days. Right now, I may just buy pork for a while. HOWEVER, crazy sometimes rules. Don't see that for 2018 on the pig issue. At least, hope not.

I am certainly DONE with winter and the calendar says there is several more months of it!! CRAP -- I hate cold & being cold!!

too old for this crap....:old so, I'm doing this... :caf:th

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Crazy certainly does rule sometimes!

DD is going a little crazy being stuck inside because of the cold. Which means I'm going a little crazy! Wednesday and Thursday are going to be in the teens to low 20's so she can go out then. Might have a snowstorm Thursday. Just what we need, then back to negative numbers for at least several days.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband is on a crazy person cleaning spree. I'm trying to help but my sciatica is being awesome so I'm a slow helper! Guess he needs to be stuck in the house more often!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well it's teens to low 20s here and I don't want to go out!!! Guess kids stay warmer....:p

Tonight on news they said we MAY get snow Wed night/Thur morn... :eek::barnie.....NOT good news.

Tomorrow I have to go get the other 1100 # bale of hay I bought -- just 1/4 mile up rd -- BUT his tractor is down and part hung up in delivery of Xmas snafus. Sooooo, I will cut the strings and bring home 1/2 at a time. I have no spear on my tractor and can't lift 1100 # anyway. :( Can't put it off.....I'm almost out and weather isn't looking good. Geesh! Even if part arrives tomorrow, he may not have time to get it installed then, he works a job. Will hope it happens!! Otherwise, I'll work 1/2 at a time. :idunno

Only other option is to go buy some 50# bales to carry me a day or four.....dang!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like he's one of those guys who just has to be moving? Or he's on a mission to get ready for the new little human? Whatever it is - don't question it - just get out of the way and let the man work, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have to get some hay soon too. I'm going through a completely ridiculous amount trying to keep everyone warm right now!

And yes DH needs to keep moving or he goes nuts. He also knows I'm struggling to stay on top of things so he feels bad and wants to help.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going UP to the teens, so going out to play? :thIt was 18F last night and a low of 14F tonight, never got above freezing today and predicted to stay that way for several days. I was outside busting ice today and DH kept the pots on the stove, boiling water. Did that 3 times, last run this evening. I will be glad when this is over!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you add a negative, you're about where we're at! Lol. When I worked in the schools, the rule for going out for recess was anything over 10 degrees was OK (including wind chill), so I go with that for DD. We don't stay out for long if it's below 20 or so, but she can go get some energy out at least.

I didn't even let the chickens or goats out today. It was - 35 wind chill most of the day. They don't need that.