NH Homesteader's journal

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think if it ever got that cold here, the school would close. They let the kids home early awhile ago, because the heating went and it really wasn't that cold. I didn't collect DS early, instead I went in at the usual time and found he was one of about 4 pupils left by the end of the day. Bad mom me :hide lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So we can't get hay because the people's tractors won't start. And we can't butcher the pig because it's too cold to skin and gut outside. I am not happy about the fact that I am still waiting for these things. Trying to be patient.

I don't want to raise pigs again like, ever. Lol did I mention that?

Animals are good though, staying warm. Supposed to hit 20 tomorrow so it won't hurt to breathe. That's a good thing!

I have split pea soup on the stove. It smells amazing but I don't actually like split pea soup. It's for DH, he loves it. He says I'm being irritable so maybe it'll make him feel like I'm a little nicer, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like legitimate gripes to me! Split pea soup.....green peas? I'm glad somebody likes it. LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The weather needs to warm up for you so you can get that pig gone now! You've been struggling awhile to get it done.

Split pea soup is not bad.. My mom used to make it for us, but I loved her bean soup more.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was curious, looked it up and split pea soup is a classic New England food lol. My mom loves it, my husband loves it.... I don't.

My husband doesn't understand why I'm irritated about the pig. Uh, because she was supposed to be gone 2 months ago? He and I don't function the same, which is fine because no two people are the same, but it can be really irritating. I like to make a plan and follow through, he won't plan ahead and then we end up stuck and/or scrambling. I love him dearly, but if he doesn't change the way he operates I have no interest in getting animals like pigs again. Chickens and turkeys can hang out until they're butchered because they're little and don't cost much to feed, but this pig thing.... Is ridiculous.

Grrrr grumpy pregnant lady... Gotta go get ready for my appointment. Wish me luck my blood pressure hasn't gone up!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good luck! :hugs I understand your frustration. I'm one of those get it done 5 minutes ago already! people. And a pig this time of the year when you're living in a deep freeze and very pregnant…

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll get 6-10" tonight with 40-50 mph winds :ep

It's 4 right now. I HATE IT ! ! !

Got another 400# of hay in bales yesterday, #1100 bale cannot get until his tractor back...Sat??...I'm ok until then but...

This is like the worst weather extreme this area has had in 25 yrs. Not normal to have severe cold, so long. Only a dusting of snow in past 2 yrs. No snow over 4" in over 10 yrs. We will be total down in the area for days ... main roads will be graded, salted, etc. but beyond that nothing much until those roads are open. Melt & freeze makes ice problems.

I see FL has snow this AM.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The nice thing about being up here, we can handle the snow! Roads will be taken care of quickly. I'm more concerned about power outages, although we do have a generator DH will probably be at work (unless it's too windy or too humid to blow snow). He'll come home but I have to wait a half hour before he can get here.

I'm also concerned because I went into premature (not by much but still early) labor with DD at this gestation in the middle of Hurricane Sandy. Not ready for baby yet!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So. Irritated. Drove all the way to my appointment, looked at my phone and they had called to cancel my appointment while I was driving there. My husband lost 4 hours of work so I could go, we have a storm coming in tomorrow and I just wasted over an hour of my time, plus gas money. And I can't reschedule for tomorrow because we're down to one vehicle until my Jeep is fixed. Not happy today.