NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just thought of something... If I move, it's warm enough I could milk all winter. I just might keep her and have her kid in the fall and milk her all winter, and make the bulk of my cheese and stuff when my minis are milking in the summer...

DH said he would help me set up a separate feeding area so she can't get them when I feed them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The next go around will be her 3rd freshening, so maybe she'll surprise me. She is a good mom. She adopted a kid last year whose dam couldn't support 3 kids.

Yeah I think I'll do that. She's stand trained and has had 2 successful kiddings. Maybe I'll breed her for fall babies, and have my first kidding with an experienced doe. Good idea, me! Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, I am very impatiently awaiting news from the pygmy breeder. She said she has kids due in March and April and would call me. I'm a very anxious person so I hope she calls soon! Haha. Also if she doesn't have a buckling for me I'm going to have to try to get 2 from the lady I have one reserved from now. So I don't have a lonely buck! I got my mini alpines from her and she has no claims on bucks (other than from me!) so I'm sure she would have another.

I'm also impatiently awaiting the end of winter. It's COLD here again!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH had to remind our roo who is in charge this morning. I told him we should make more chicken soup but he let him live to fight another day. And a hen got in with the turkeys, I thought they were going to go after her but they completely ignored her. Lucky chicken!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well just checked the website for the pygmy breeder and it says babies will start arriving soon and babies have been reserved for those on the waiting list. I assume I will not have an issue getting one as I don't have a particular pairing in mind. Just want a healthy buckling! I am hoping to time it that we get him around the same time as my mini. The due dates for the does I'm looking at are 4/2 and 4/9, so he'll be ready in June.

Also looking at alpine doelings, potentially. Not sure if I'm going to jump on that yet this year. Might wait.