NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok folks, don't call me crazy please. I've decided to not get the pygmy. Seriously, I might be nuts. So I am getting the other buck (75/25 mini alpine) and a wether (either 75/25 or 50/50 mini alpine). We will either keep the one buck and the wether pal for a bit or keep the buck and make dinner out of the wether when we find a second buck (either Nigie or 50/50 mini).

Does that ramble even make sense? Anyway the pygmy was expensive and 4 hours away and we might be moving, and I want to focus on my mini alpines and.... It just seemed like a better and less stressful thing to do.

So the minis at the farm I am getting my guys from are due at the beginning of April.

Oh I also used some of the money that was the price differences between the pygmy and the wether and bought a fancy microscope with Mcmasters slides!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nah - not crazy - just being practical! Sometimes we've gotta make decisions that are a little different than what we thought we wanted, lol. I've done it a million times!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also, on a personal note, I bought two fancy registered Nigies last year... The doe has a chronic zinc deficiency and the buckling was genetically stunted. I also bought my mini alpines last year. I have never dewormed them, they have slow growing hooves and they are the healthiest happiest goats ever! So, I am getting my buck and wether from the person I got them from. I need a "safe" year. Rebuilding year too, I suppose.

And thanks for not calling me crazy, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have never dewormed them, they have slow growing hooves and they are the healthiest happiest goats ever!

Then you have made THE best decision you could make! I'm going to be concentrating on my hardiest goats from now on. I've kept some around for emotional reasons and that will not do!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! They're fortunately also the sweetest and most fun ones too! I think it's a good decision. I feel calmer now, lol.

I also have a lead on an AGH boar. DH agreed to breed one to our little gilt.

Almost time to butcher our barrow too.... And maybe someday the snow will melt. Maybe.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The breeder has had 3 does kid so far this year... The count thus far is 8 bucks, 0 does! I hope she doesn't have all does from now on! I told her we are hoping for opposite things here, lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll be taking one of the boars to the processor next week. Neighbor has too much going on and it's spring break so I'll actually be able to get it done. As soon as my son brings my tractor back I'll move the livestock trailer to a dry place where I can start feeding them in there. Hopefully, they'll be greedy enough to follow the bucket!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since you will be moving, you only want to move animals that really matter and fit in with your farm plans. If you can build up your key stock right now, and have the foundation breeding stock that you want, it will only benefit you after you move.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right! So I'll need a few more goats eventually but this way the ones I have will all be helpful in my future goals, and all the offspring will be registerable and from good milking lines. There are no 50/50 mini alpine bucks anywhere near me that aren't related to my does, but the 75/25 is still going to produce registerable kids.