NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No she has never kidded before. And the buck is proven like a million times over lol. She's kind of neurotic, the first year I guess she jumped out of the pen to get away from him/back to her sister. I guess we'll see if she ends up kidding.... If not maybe I'll make her live with Clifford for a while, lol! She and her sister are big eaters so I'm not giving her too long though!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peppermint and Patty have udders! Lilly already has one coming too. She's kidded twice before. Those three were bred to Clifford so good job dude!

Mimosa is due March 17th, I believe. She's got a belly. Bellini would be due March 23rd but has zero belly or udder development so don't think she is pregnant. If she isn't, we might keep a doeling from Peppermint (if she has one).

Eek! Goats!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother and @baymule I need advice! Electric aside, what is the best fencing for LGD's? I have some money to spend on fencing and I want to get decent fencing. I have the goats and I'll be getting sheep eventually, polled so horns aren't an issue. I am most concerned about keeping in the eventual LGD's though! And a couple of my goats who are fence climbers!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If your dog's name is Cowboy - I'd say nothing works well, lol. For any and every other dog we've had no problems with any of the different kinds of fencing that I have. This is what I use for perimeter fencing (I'd love the 2 x 4 fencing @baymule has!)

Red Brand Woven Field Fence, 330 ft. L x 47 in. H

$139.99
It has smaller spacing at the bottom and larger at the top.
Maddie has never even tried to go over it - I've never had a goat or a horse try either - even when I had full-sized horses they wouldn't try. It's affordable and lasts for a long time. A couple years ago we replaced it all after it had been up over 25 years. It has also kept out predators - except a bobcat that could go over just about any fence...

A lot of my inner fences are cattle panels. Again, Cowboy climbs right over. He doesn't "jump" any fence...he uses them like a ladder and climbs over.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-11_8-44-34.png
    upload_2018-2-11_8-44-34.png
    97 bytes · Views: 114
  • upload_2018-2-11_8-44-34.png
    upload_2018-2-11_8-44-34.png
    97 bytes · Views: 117

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I could use that for the goat pen with a high strand of electric if I'm super worried? The bucks will have a cattle panel buck pen. Two of my does are fence climbers, they climbed over my welded wire fence. Brats.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cool, thanks I would love the 2x4 woven wire but it's a little spendy for me at the moment. I could fence a huge area with the field fencing for my budget! Then maybe get the pricey stuff as I can for smaller pens. What do you use for posts? Is it hard to keep it from sagging? Sorry for the million questions, I am fencing illiterate! Lol

Nice here today actually. Will hit the low 40's!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I re-fenced a few years ago I bought about a zillion cedar posts. I got them cheaper by going to the source instead of paying for the ones that are trucked in. Thankfully, my good neighbor has a deer lease close to the guy that furnished the posts so he delivered them home for me. We were fencing his pasture with them so it was a good deal for both of us. If you pull it tight it shouldn't sag. When I had big horses they would sometimes reach over it while trying to get something out of the pasture next door....just a strand of smooth wire on top stopped that....but I don't have big horses anymore so there's no problem.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used that field fencing on 16 acres we once had. I hated the stuff. My horses could paw it and it broke open, creating holes. Dogs could wiggle through the larger holes, the "tied" where the squares came together would just slide over, making a larger hole for dogs to get through.

On our new place, I used the 2"x4"x48" non climb horse wire. Not even a chicken can go through it. But it is pricy.

I think you would be happier with the 4"x4" sheep and goat wire.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-goat-fence-48-in-x-330-ft