NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And it almost got up to 50 degrees. Big day, lol!

I'm doing lots of farm planning, changing my mind on some things, trying to make up my mind on others. I'm sure I'll change some of it over time, that's farming right?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope nothing yet. I imagine he's trying to figure out if he wants to push us or not, lol. DH will bug him Monday morning.

Trees tapped today, will probably be able to start boiling sap tomorrow!

Goats must be getting close. Udders are getting bigger, and look lovely! Except Lilly, she kinda has a pathetic udder lol. Maybe she'll pop right before. Uh, she's also acting like a buck and curling her lip when the other does pee. Is that normal? Lol it's creeping me out a little!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tree tapping time! YAY! That's so awesome and I'm so jealous! Grrrrr on the Jeep - the guy better get straight!

Exciting about the goats! Eh...maybe Lilly's udder will get better? Or if not - maybe it'll produce a bunch, lol. I can forgive an ugly udder if it produces!

Lip curling...just one of those things. Normal yes - creepy yes, lol!

Uh....udder pics would be awesome! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tapping trees!! That might be the only thing about living in your cold climate that I would like. But not enough to move there, so I'll just have to buy mine! LOL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey there's other cool things about the cold. Like snowmobiling! And snowshoeing. Being in the woods when it's snowing is beautiful, so quiet. But... Shoveling, plowing, falling on the ice, banging ice out of water dishes.... Not so fun!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
There are definite pros and cons to the cold! It sounds like you are going to have a fun spring, with the new baby goats :love

Hope you guys will get that jeep story sorted soon and in your favour…

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So when I got my 2 new does the plan was to get them on place of the Golden Guernseys I had reserved. But now DH says I should go ahead and get at least one GG anyway :) particularly when/if my Nigie sells. Yay!

Then I'll look for a pygmy buck this fall/next spring, and I will have a very strange assortment of goats, that makes me happy. I have a feeling I might fall for the GG's and have to get more of them. I better start selling some soap or something, lol. Hey I'm getting LGD's, they need something to protect right?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Methinks you should get one of those hoodies I showed FEM… ;)

If you have an LGD your goats will have good protection and you may as well get a good number of goats, to offset the cost of keeping an LGD. Selling soap or maybe even milk ("for animal consumption" if needed ;)) will be a great hobby and a bit of an extra income for you too.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know! Lol! My husband doesn't care how many goats I have as long as I can make a little with them. Good husband!

NH has very lenient raw milk laws. I believe I can sell 20 gallons a day, last I checked anyway. I've been wary of that because of the potential for a lawsuit. Say someone gets sick after having my milk and eating food from elsewhere, they may assume it's my milk and go after me. I think for now I'll stick to soaps, lotions and I will probably sell cheeses to family and friends. I pasteurize my milk and my family won't sue me anyway haha

The woman we've been buying hay from, her primary helper is in the hospital, and may not make it. DH is going to offer to help her with haying this summer, and maybe we can reduce our hay costs in return for his help (or get free hay even).

Latest posts