NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well it's that time of year again.... Back to fending off the attack roosters. Our Cornish is.... I think the most aggressive chicken I've ever seen. My husband doesn't want to keep him much longer. Just want some of his offspring for meat and he'll be dog food. The Dominique, who is so good all winter, has already gone after DH twice and me once. Hoping the ground will thaw enough to put fence posts in soon!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is up with them crazy roo's? If they know what's good for 'em they'll cease and desist immediately!

I've been so lucky with roos. I haven't had an aggressive rooster in years! And, he left here in a most undignified manner...

I wonder if my roosters are just that good - of if it's because there are a bunch of them out there and they're too busy sparring with each other to mess with me!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That could be the case. We keep our roos separate from each other. Dominique roos aren't known for being friendly. They're very good protectors though! Brewster lives because he is a beautiful quality Dominique, he is gentle with the hens and he has gorgeous offspring. He just needs a fence now, lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter isn't over... 6+ inches forecasted for Wednesday. Sigh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cam start my plants in April! Lol. I I can't plant the main garden until between Memorial Day and June 1st, most years.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
dang.... and I'm chomping at the bit now...not enough planting going on yet! And when is the end of gardening season?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Um I think the average first frost date is around October 15th?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope, way off. Lol, bad memory! According to the Old Farmer's Almanac.... I am zone 4b, last frost May 28th, first fall frost September 17th, which is an average of 111 day gardening season. I like getting seeds from Fedco because they're in Maine and they know what we have time for here!