NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am getting my buckling and wether and some new chickens and would love if I could call that it. I am kind of attached to one of our pigs but pigs are pigs.

My husband has great ideas and wants to do everything, but isn't good at recognizing when it's not the right time to do it all!

Sorry, needed to vent I guess!

It's ok to vent -- helps clear our head.

If DH is thinking Fall move, then suggest, less to move is better and sometimes easier to combine some animals than others. Plus, with less to feed/breed/handle, you can get to things that need attention to be able to SELL. A slow market will possibly require more time, ya never know, and the best sales times are when schools let out.......if a family has kids to change schools, etc. It's also better weather. So, listing the home as soon as you can would help with that. Letting your realtor know that you can sell and take an extended close date to allow you to pack, buy, etc. Just be sure they get people who are mortgage qualified! Then you have opened a way for people who can look now, move in 3 months or so. Just a thought. Get a good realtor!! Have them come by and listen to what they tell you to do to prepare.

Scary and exciting all at one time.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately we have some things that need to be done before we can sell. And we can't do anything outside because the ground is still frozen and we are going to get a foot of snow next week:mad:

I think next year is a more reasonable goal but DH says I'm negative! Haha

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you listen to a realtor and let them price your house stupid high, you will keep it for a long time. You might try selling it yourself at a decent price, then you can negotiate from there.

We sold our house and our land at less than market price so we wouldn't have a empty house hanging around our necks like a bad dream.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My stepdad's best friend is a realtor so I could use him, but we really hate his boss (she's a mean woman) so I don't really want her to get a dollar from me selling my house.

My FIL and his wife are real estate savvy so we will likely get their advice and list it ourselves. My husband is apt to settle for less than I am. My parents gave me the land and we spent the money to put something on it, so I want to get as much out or it as possible, where he wants to get what we can and move on.

My parents are leaning towards keeping a small home or camper up in NH and a small place where we move and going back and forth. This is what I was going to suggest but they figured it out on their own, hooray! Lol

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your husband is the smart one here, you need to listen to him. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and get the heck out of there. Our country is in deep debt, deep trouble and the sooner you can get yourself and your family to a better place, the better off you will be.

We took a short sale on both our properties, haven't looked back and have no regrets. Sure, we all want all the money we can get for what we are selling, but how long are you willing to hold out to get that price? How long will it be before our country implodes from spendthrift politicians and you can't sell what you have at any price? Not trying to sound like a Prophet of Doom and Gloom, as I like to call them, but reality will strike at some point and I want to be able to feed and shelter my family when and if it strikes.

There is a quiet shift going on in this country and I believe, around the world. People no longer trust their governments or the news media spoon feeding them glittery rainbows and ponies, telling us that everything is wonderful while they carefully tend to themselves and leave us hanging. Take care of yourself and your family and get moving.

If there is anyone you know that lived through the Depression, talk to them. I have listened to elderly people who were children during that time. If they lived on a farm, they were poor, but they never went hungry. They had their family, their friends and their community. People who lived in towns and cities often went hungry.

Get to where you want to be and get dug in. Get prepared for hard times that I hope and pray doesn't come, but I more than suspect will strike and catch most unaware and unprepared. Don't be one of them.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, we are hoping to make enough from the sale of this house to pay off our mortgage and get set up down there without having to have another mortgage. Which is likely, considering there are good deals everywhere down in TN. But is more likely if we sell this place for more.

I live in a sea of liberals. My tax rate is skyrocketing and that's supposed to be ok. We have been told we hate children because we don't want to pay for unnecessary work to the high school here. I pay over 2% property tax for just the school portion of my taxes. We definitely want to go!

Our goal is to buy a mobile home to move on to our friends' property for cheap and stay there for up to a year or two, help them learn some self sufficiency. They eventually want to move to a place with more acreage, and my parents want a place down there. So we might look for a place with 30 ish acres and split it (just a thought, nothing definitive). There are lots of big lots in TN and the ones out of town sell for cheap.

We hope to avoid having a mortgage and work to pay off my student loan debt. Hopefully in 10 years or less we'll be debt free.

We can't have the life we want here. I've done preliminary math and we could live there for about half the cost of living here. We spend $1500+ heating our house every winter here and pay $3,000 (and rising) in taxes. I barely get a growing season and our animals practically hibernate half the year.

I don't know what is coming. But I don't think it will be good either.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Baymule gave you good advice. We were in the take-what-we-can-get-and-get-the-hell-out boat in S.A. Told a realtor I knew and liked to list our property "open to offers". She insisted on putting a price on it that was probably market value, but about 20% more than we wanted. We let her try and she did, very hard, to sell it quick. I eventually asked her to drop the asking price by about 17% and she got an offer for us, we got a bit more than we wanted. Took about 10 months to sell though.

Regarding where you're moving to. Not knowing what your current place is worth etc, I'm thinking check how much you'd need to buy a place where you're looking to go, mortgage free, and some extra for developing the land, other expenses, have a bit in the bank for a rainy day and then make your "accept" price for your current property.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm getting DH to make one tiny decision at a time, lol. He is a big picture person and likes to "wing it". Yeah not me. So he agrees that we do not need to bring any pigs from here down with us (hallelujah). So I will be holding off on the AGH. We have a barrow set to be butchered anytime now, then we'll raise the 2 gilts to butcher in the summer/fall. That's a relief. So we'll likely have 4 goats, (maybe 5 if my little wether doesn't sell), 3-4 turkeys and who knows how many chickens (they're easy to transport anyway).

On to the next mission.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. I'm a very anxious person when it comes to big events and changes so I kind of need to just dump it somewhere!

Latest posts