NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hear Katahdins are great! If I ever got sheep that's probably what I'd go for too unless I went with those awesome looking 4-horned sheep... even though I have a 'no-horn' policy at my house!

So glad DD2 didn't have to go to ICU...whew! There's nothing wrong with being a hermit - I rather enjoy it when I can get away with it - which isn't often.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our DD and family get sick a lot. The oldest grand daughter is in school, DSIL is a teacher and DD is a college professor. The two little grand daughters were in day care, but it closed-no openings anywhere close. So DD hired one of the workers to come to her house and keep them. The lady was able to bring her baby too, so it worked out well for all. But next fall, they will go to daycare, which is nothing but a big giant germ sponge. So they can all start the sick cycle all over again.

See what you miss by being a stay at home mom? :thumbsup

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I know, I taught public school! It's awful! Germ sponge is right.

DD says she wants rabbits. She's old enough to have some responsibility. So we might get meat rabbits. Best breed?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I swear the baby might be teething already. Super drooly, chewing on her fist constantly and irritable. Not constantly irritable, like she really wants to be happy but she can't stay happy. Sheesh she's only 11 weeks but dd1 got her teeth early, and lost her first teeth early so we shall see.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good meat rabbit breeds are White New Zealand, Californian, Satins (the Siamese color is so pretty). The cutesy little rabbits are adorable, but not big enough for meat. The giant breeds are all bone and finally fill out, but are poor prospects for fryers. There are a lot of breeds, some very pretty colors, that would be good for meat.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the giants but want this to be an affordable enterprise. We were looking at Californians primarily. Definitely want a more docile breed also for DD.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well Brewster (Dominique) just sealed his fate. DH was collecting eggs and he attacked him, put two huge holes in his leg, through his Carhartts. He's never actually injured anyone before. Bye bye Brewster. Guess we better get the incubator going!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geesh...I thought it was the Cornish who had lost his mind & the Dom was quieter. Guess not. :idunno Ya tell them & tell them -- shape up or ship out -- men tend to ignore ya. :hide RIP Brewster.