NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought it was the Cornish when he came in sputtering! But nope! We'll probably be rooster - less soon!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You definitely do not need birds like that around, especially with the little ones. Sheesh, they are asking for it, stupid birds...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is it bad that I'm hoping to be rooster-less? Lol I think if I don't go out of my way to get the incubator going, DH will space it. Bad me... Don't judge! I kinda just want to do CX for meat and hatch turkeys. With the baby and all these goats, I want simple this year!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
With the baby, a toddler and all the goats keeping you busy already, by all means go rooster-less and simple! Roosters are great and handy, but they are not essential and if they are a pain in the rump, they make great soup I heard ;)

How is the little one doing now?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH can hardly put any weight on his knee where he was spurred and he's in a lot of pain. So I am waiting for him at the urgent care clinic to get a tetanus shot and, I presume, antibiotics.

Baby's doing pretty well. Super congested still but breathing easier!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I insisted we go. He got a tetanus shot, antibiotics and a non narcotic painkiller. Yeah the roo made it about 5 minutes after the attack. He washed up his leg and went out and dealt with him.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
For your DD, I would not suggest a meat rabbit. They're too large for a child to hold safely. A Jersey Woolie is small, and of the wool breeds it's lowest maintenance. The wool is shorter and only molts twice per year. REW (red eyed whites) have the highest maintance wool, I'd avoid those. JW are also very popular, so the prices aren't too high.

I went to a rabbit show to buy so I could hold many rabbits and compare temperament. Flighty rabbits kick and can do a lot of damage! I have a tattoo on my wrist to cover a rabbit-kick scar because people thought I attempted suicide. :gig The scar has finally faded... 17 years later. I learned my lesson! If it's a bigger show you might be able to buy fleece gauntlets there in her size.