NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was rooster less for years because I lived in town. Moved to the country and got roosters. Have made a lot of mean rooster soup! Have a Wellsummer too attacking through the wire, soup coming up!

Hope your DH recovers quickly!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I used to haul pigs IN my little hatchback car years ago… Stopped by my mechanic one day with some weaned piglets in feed sacks in the boot. I got out and walked up to him and his assistant to talk with them and I saw he copped on what the noise was, but his assistant didn't, so I decided to have some fun with him. I said to him "Deverick, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with my car this time! Listen to her!" He looked at me, looked at the car, walked to the car (looking puzzled and slightly alarmed), stopped, looked at me again, looked at the car… Clearly trying to figure out the noise. We all corpsed. It was so funny! He knew the sound of piglets squealing, but coming from the car it threw him.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A couple weeks for sure...I've heard longer, but I have hatched eggs laid 2 weeks after a rooster died. Only reason I didn't try to collect more for a longer period was that I ran out of room in the incubator.

Is the Cornish rooster behaving any better after seeing what happened to Brewster?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have heard it's months. I think 4 months? I kick my roosters out over winter - all winter - to control breeding in spring. My personal experience is 2 weeks. We started collecting eggs to incubate immediately after rooster died and didn't try longer than that. We got a good hatch