NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure, he probably already has ideas!

We lost a hen at some point I think. For real this time. One's missing and there's feathers everywhere.

Just got a little bag of chick feed from TSC. In case we actually hatch something! Lockdown tomorrow.

Off to try some chevre..... Mmmm

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He came home from work and got right to it. I also fed him chevre on crackers when he walked in the door so I got some credit, lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome - good guy!

Chevre helps, lol! I can't wait to go home and roast some garlic to go in mine. I made plain last time so I'll flavor it this time.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also may have made fudge. Maybe, lol. He is going to help me milk in the morning!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Messed up the fudge. But you know the good thing about messing up fudge, it's still delicious! Just came out like the consistency of maple candy.

Was looking at the girls tonight and realized Patty does not have a great udder. I knew she had small teats but she also has bad attachments. Otherwise decent though. I'm going to dry her off and think about her future, lol

Oh, and I got a better look at the hens tonight. And followed the path of feathers to the trail all the critters use in the corner of our property. I am not happy, it got our last original Dominique. The only chicken I liked. DH said the pile of feathers wasn't there when he left at 6:40 for work so it was a daytime attack. Jerk fox.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
But you know the good thing about messing up fudge, it's still delicious!
True dat!! NO such thing as bad fudge, lol.
Uh oh - does Patty get her walking papers?
Stoopid fox - that's just wrong when they do their dirty work in daylight hours. (course it's always wrong, lol)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know yet. I mean, I'm not breeding show goats but weak attachments are not helpful for long term milking so... I don't know? Lol

We have a serious fox population here. They're too darn brave.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does Clifford come from a good line of good udders? I mean it's a little early to know, lol. But if you can get an improvement in the next generation there's nothing wrong with that. You wouldn't beeee-leeeeeve some of the crappy udders on my original Nubians. But, - I have to give Dusty credit - he improves udders immensely in just one generation. He does that with all his daughters, even from different does. That's the main reason I'll keep him to breed back to Conan's daughters. I have no idea what a Kiko influence will have on udders. :hu

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's actually related to Mimosa and Bellini. They have decent udders. And his sire comes from good udders. So, maybe? DH and I are considering trying to find a pet home or a home where she can raise her babies and not be milked, some people just like having babies. I think if the right home popped up I would let her go but otherwise she can hang out. She'll be buddies with my GG's anyway.

Milking went much better this morning! We hooked up to a 1/2 gallon Mason jar with a screw on plastic lid. I had to finish milking Bellini by hand because we filled the jar! Bellini was awful at standing though, lol. DH had some choice words for her. He is stuck helping me until we get hobbles or a way to tie her kicky foot! I keep reminding him she's 3 and has only been handled to do shots and hoof trims. A little kicking is not a huge deal! She's doing pretty well!