NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Duh, I can just let her raise her babies for us to butcher. Then she'd be pulling her own weight, and she's so friendly... It's an excuse to keep her. Lol.... Don't we always find an excuse?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Duh, I can just let her raise her babies for us to butcher. Then she'd be pulling her own weight, and she's so friendly... It's an excuse to keep her. Lol.... Don't we always find an excuse?
That's true! I do find an excuse to hang on to the good ones! Ah, who am I kidding - I find an excuse to hang on to almost all of 'em, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We do get our pets! It makes culling the flock harder to do. I haven’t got to that point of old ewes yet. Not sure how I’m going to handle that.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same thing with my old does. Some can stay, but I can't afford for them all to. And goats live long past the years I feel comfortable asking them to produce.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And goats live long past the years I feel comfortable asking them to produce.
That's the truth.. I've got one out there that's about 15.... and she is awesome. She still looks great but I would NOT want her to get bred. Just can't see a good ending to that. :(

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's the age you typically stop breeding them? I have been guessing 8-9? Maybe I'll have more land and LGD's by then and I can put them "out to pasture", lol and let them eat brush.

15 is pretty old! Is she a pygmy?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She is a pygmy. About 3 years ago she got bred...totally NOT my idea but she had triplets! She didn't get to the third one to clean it up but she raised the other two and held her weight - but I kinda pampered her a little, lol. My pygmies are my oldest goats right now. I have one of her daughters who is about 8 and she aborted a baby this year so I probably won't try to breed her again.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw love pygmies, they've got a good life with you!

So... We have one egg that is solidly dark, and most of them have zero development. Oh well, they're now on lockdown. Might be taking an emergency trip to TSC for buddies, lol.

We realized we stored the eggs awaiting incubation in a room that was too warm. Another possible issue.

Now we'll collect turkey eggs for a week, put the 2 younger Dominique hens (we think they're pure but not sure) with the Cornishes and collect for a week. Then when the turkeys have been in a week we'll add chicken eggs and try to hatch them together.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They were my first goat love, lol!

Hmmmm, sounds like you might get a lone chickie baby. Yep, have to get it a buddy. Hope the turkey eggs work out better!

Latest posts