NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow these girls have way less butterfat than my pure Nigie did. Much lower yield on cheese! But better for drinking and yogurt. The GG's will be my cheese and coffee goats lol! Apparently they favor the alpine side. Makes me want to keep a doeling who's got more Nigie in her... Nope. No keeping goats! Lol

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Makes me want to keep a doeling who's got more Nigie in her..
Ahhhh....come on! Keep one, lol!

BUT - ya know - Pygmies make a lot of butterfat too...as much (or more) than Nigi's!

"Nigerian dwarf goats produce around two quarts of milk a day. Pygmies can produce anywhere from a quart to two-thirds of a gallon, with the average being one to two quarts. Both goat breeds produce high-butterfat milk. Nigerian milk typically ranges from 6 to 10 percent butterfat. Pygmy milk ranges from 4.5 to more than 11 percent butterfat. The high butterfat makes the milk taste sweet and not likely to taste "goaty" as soon. Nigerians generally produce milk for more than 305 days. Pygmies produce milk for a shorter period -- only 120 to 180 days."

Except for that last line about them not producing as long....I agree. I've milked a pygmy for longer than that. My children used to say that pygmy milk tasted like a melted milkshake. It's that good! :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I bet a GG /pygmy would be cool! DH doesn't want me to get a buckling this year. He said I should either find an adult buck or keep Clifford because next year we might find that we want something different, after we butcher and see what we get. So I'll probably keep Clifford and have to eat everything lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make angel food cake, then use the yolks for crème brulee. We love it. You can even make coffee or chocolate flavored. It is rich, delicious and SOOOOOOO good!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek just candled eggs and one of them had movement going on! So cool! Lots with visible blood vessels.... A couple that looked like duds but not many!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep! Two weeks, I waited 7 days and had to check them. We had a long power outage the day after I put them in so I was nervous!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ahhhh....come on! Keep one, lol!

BUT - ya know - Pygmies make a lot of butterfat too...as much (or more) than Nigi's!

"Nigerian dwarf goats produce around two quarts of milk a day. Pygmies can produce anywhere from a quart to two-thirds of a gallon, with the average being one to two quarts. Both goat breeds produce high-butterfat milk. Nigerian milk typically ranges from 6 to 10 percent butterfat. Pygmy milk ranges from 4.5 to more than 11 percent butterfat. The high butterfat makes the milk taste sweet and not likely to taste "goaty" as soon. Nigerians generally produce milk for more than 305 days. Pygmies produce milk for a shorter period -- only 120 to 180 days."

Except for that last line about them not producing as long....I agree. I've milked a pygmy for longer than that. My children used to say that pygmy milk tasted like a melted milkshake. It's that good! :)
This is very interesting! I heard goat milk have lower butterfat compared to cows and it's almost not worth taking the cream off for butter making. Reading this makes me think it's definitely worth it! Thanks for posting, FEM.