NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well two of the three does got bolused. Mimosa got half bolused lol, she spit it out after chewing it open and ingesting half of the rods. Oh well, the other two are bolused and all three got selenium paste and probiotics.

Next we get to give the pigs injectable ivermectin. Not doing it today. So dreading it!

The hummingbirds are back! It is 70, sunny with a little breeze that's keeping the bugs at bay. Perfect weather!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll are getting it done! Have fun with the pig shots, lol.

Glad ya'll are having some awesome weather - it's about time!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know it! We're overdue! DH is raking the goat pen. It used to be woods and brush but they did a great job clearing it. I cleaned out the hay building, and gave all the leftover dropped hay to the pigs, turkeys and chickens. I'd like to throw out some plants too, they're overgrown!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lots of reports in the state of people having their goats and small livestock killed by black bears. That's just lovely isn't it? Gotta get a LGD up here already! We do lock the girls and babies in the barn at night. One attack was in the middle of the day though!

Something took a chicken about 10' from my daughter's bedroom window between when I let them out this morning and when I refilled the hay feeders after milking and getting the milk into the house. Must have been a fox.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband's boss saw two stray dogs leaving the swampy area next to my house at the time our chicken went missing. I've spoken with the police and they've spoken with the dogs' owner. If it happens again... Well, no comment.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've been reminded we have the right to protect our livestock. They were up the road harassing someone's ducks the other day I guess. The particular officer on duty is not the type who gives a crap about livestock /dog disputes. I'm sure I made his night lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the dogs has been roaming for months. Now his buddy is with him. Neither of them are neutered, which I guess is fine if you keep them on your own property. My chow mix hates intact male dogs, it won't be pretty if they show up when we're outside.

I really, really need a LGD!

Date set to go get my GG's next month! They are 30 lbs already, eek!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You need an LGD! Then you don't have to worry about strays and other critters so much. Those dogs sound like a big problem, if at least one of them had been roaming for so long already, what the heck is the owner doing? Some people shouldn't be keeping dogs.