NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had goats that never had diarrhea with coccidia...so I don't think any of the 'rules' are hard and fast. But, in light of the hay change that might certainly be the contributing factor. Sounds like you've got the worming side covered. I'd just watch her...maybe don't let her free feed on the hay just yet. I'd follow through with probiotics again tomorrow too.

If her attitude is that good then likely it's not anything horrible - just keep watching it (which I know you will do!).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I gave her probiotics yesterday and again today. Her poops are now clumpy but not splatty, and she's not excessively pooping either, I had to play poop stalker for a long time to see one, lol!! Headed to the doc for DD2 now, back to poop watching shortly!!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hope the goat and baby will be good for you today :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And scouring again. Eyelids are pale-ish but not white. I have red cell, don't know the dosage... Gotta go look. She's eating fine but I'm gonna limit her to crappy hay, she has electrolytes in her water. Thinking of moving her sister but I don't want to stress her out more... I'm very close to quitting goat farming right now!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh No! If she were mine, I'd take her off of all feed/hay right now and leave her with the water/electrolytes overnight. If you think she's in danger of dehydrating you could give her some pink stuff or Imodium - but I usually don't treat diarrhea symptoms because I figure it needs to come out. But in the case of a young'un you don't want them to dehydrate either. You can do the skin pinch test - but if she's been drinking she's probably ok. Hoping for the best!

Ugh typed this 20 minutes ago and forgot to post. Grrrrr!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have any B-complex? It's injectable, it's cheap and it's over the counter. It's good for the rumen and you can't overdose a goat with it. I'd try to give her a couple cc's if you can get it. Red Cell would be good if she's anemic...I don't worry about dosage that much at least for the initial dose. Maybe a couple tablespoons...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found the red cell dosage. And dosed. She's peeing, chewing cud, acting totally normal. If it weren't for her butt I'd think she was fine! She isn't having excessive scours, just when she does poop it's not solid. Like, she isn't going constantly, if that matters. I didn't grain them tonight. I have B complex I think... Lemme go look...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the B complex in her too. Will put electrolytes in her water again before I go to bed.

Thanks for helping me when you're in the middle of funeral planning, you are too kind. Just know it's much appreciated!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm happy to try to help! The B can basically go either IM or SQ...I've done both...and I might follow the guideline on the bottle but - can't overdose 'em because they just pee it out.