NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went blueberry picking this morning, and made a goat friend. She's having issues with barberpole too. This is her first year with goats, I feel bad for her! I at least had a good start

We've decided to suck it up and make the hour drive for the vet we like. Dogs are due. All the other vets I've tried have not been very useful. Also everyone in our house has multiple appointments coming up so.... We're going to be living in waiting rooms. Ughhh....

Mimosa and Bellini both milked terribly today. It better be a temporary reduction!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YaY for a new goat friend! Maybe you can be her mentor. Sounds like a good plan to go see the vet who knows something. Hope he can get things straightened out.

Silly girls! They better keep up the production or ….??? Cameo hasn't exactly been generous lately either.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, Mimosa is not staying. She's had not great production for a while, she's a vicious herd queen and she's big, so she's a feed hog (compared to my other ones). We'll see about Bellini. I don't like her attitude but she's been a better milker and I only have so many options for next year! They're just mean to Patty, I had to move her because they're just beating the snot out of her. I give them hay in 3 places and they run to keep her from eating at any of them. They will fly across the barn and nail her into the wall... For existing apparently. I'm sick of that. I know goats aren't always nice to each other, but I've had enough goats to know they aren't all this bad. I won't put my GG's with them, even when they get clear fecals, because they don't need that.

I've been reading a lot and talking to AGH people and whenever someone has a pig with an attitude problem, the overwhelming response from the breeders is, eat them! I told DH I kind of wish goat people were a little better about that!

I'm gonna need some good ground goat recipes, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went to that site -- wow, a treasure trove :) Skimming thru the pictures and names of the dishes...saw several I'd try. They have some non-food items mixed, like goat soap. Plus saw several goat cheese items. When I have time I will look in more depth. Thanks, Sumi.

I have 4 bucklings which I plan to sell but, could grow out and butcher. Had goat meat several years ago and the dish I had was good -- sort of a BBQ. I'd be interested in something more "just meat" like a pork chop, etc. Would like to taste a couple of that type before going with a butcher for freezer. If I felt it would be eaten, I would go with a meat breed. Just like dairy/meat cattle, some are more desirable for taste and carcass proportion.

Oddly, having raised meat goats in past, never butchered one! Sold to breeders and/or butcher shop for their sales. :idunno Not so with cattle, pigs, chickens -- always raised and used some. Guess the goats had too much personality for me. :rolleyes:

NH, you are right, some goats just have the "after ya" personality. Shame. It's a surefire "you're gone" situation.
Bellini may change attitude once Mimosa is gone.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, Mimosa is not staying.
I've done the same. They don't get with the program they get to move on down the road. Had a great milking Kinder - she had attitude plus! Maybe a bit strange that she wasn't the herd queen, (that's Red) but she was one of Red's daughters. Red is a laid back leader, but maybe cuz she had her daughter doing the dirty work, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I actually think she'll be worse. She freaks out when she's separated from her sister, that's why they were a package deal! And she's meaner, but Mimosa is herd queen. Lol FEM I was typing this as you posted.... That's the same thing!! I think she taught Bellini to be a bully, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lucy gained 2 lbs this week, despite all the scouring!! Woohoo! I'm happy to not be freaking out about goats right now (for this exact moment, lol).

Gonna have to check out some goat recipes.... Mmm

Anyone know the best way to BBQ/smoke a goat without it getting too tough? We have a 35ish lb goat we want to BBQ... Maybe there's an idea in those links!

Latest posts