NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daily poop report - normal pellets. Lol, but seriously when do I get to stop worrying about that goat?

Still raining on and off today. Goats are happily munching, inside, of course. Brats. I spent half the day shopping and the other half on the phone. Everyone's due for some kind of appointment, some of us several. Even the dogs. Lots of waiting rooms in my future...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm still worried the ivermectin won't work, but my plan assuming there are no symptoms to worry about, is to do one more round of ivermectin, wait 10 days and bring in a sample. If it doesn't work there's always cydectin. The vet last time I had a fecal run said "just quit", which was awful discouraging. I didn't need that :(

Yep DH has an appt, I have two, DD2 has two and DD1 has three. In the next three months. Ughhhh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What did he say "just quit" about? Quit with goats?

I have been known to do Ivermectin every 10 days for a month...starting on the 1st day of the month, again on the 10th day, the 20th day and the 30th day - which is 4 times. It worked and worked well. I've only been that intense one time - but I could see a total difference in my goats. That was early last year when we had been wet for 6 months. I would do it again if I had to...but ugh. That's a lot of work with all the goats I have!

I feel ya on the doc appts...just not fun. I've got better things to do! (even though I went today). Ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bet it is a lot of work! The next time will be the third time, we'll see how it works. I will have healthy goats darn it!! Lol and yes, the vet implied that it was impossible to get rid of the worms and I should just quit trying. It made me feel like crud, I'll tell you that. Besides all the meds, we've been moving them around on fresh ground every few days (never had goats there before) and making sure they aren't eating off the ground. I heard one of the techs say to another one that I need to move them to a different place (in a judgemental tone) after the panacur didn't work. Well MAYBE if you gave me the right meds I wouldn't have wasted all that time!!! Grrr.

I miss my vet. I need to grovel and apologize and suck it up and drive an hour with the kids and a goat in the back of my Lexus. Lol!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - you need a new vet if he/she thinks Panacur is really effective. At least here, it hasn't been in probably over 20 years...geeze!

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tried this one out because they are closer but that was a waste. I've since read on every forum that discusses goats that panacur doesn't work for barber pole (or much of anything it seems). Maybe vets need to use Google? Lol

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yaaayyyy Lucy and Gidget each gained 2.5 lbs! Toltrazuril, ivermectin and my goat friends (FEM that includes you) are my heroes this week. DH and I are going to make fecal solution tonight and try to teach ourselves how to do fecals this weekend (will follow up with a vet of course).

Mimosa and Bellini are slowing way down in production and I just don't have the time or energy to fight them. I have a freezer full of milk and no time to make cheese or soap right now.... So I'm calling it and drying them off. And they're for sale. I'll keep Patty and the GG's and if she gains weight in time I'll breed her. If not, oh well. Maybe we'll take some vacations next summer lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on gaining weight! (for goats anyway - not so much for people...ugh) Would Mimosa and Bellini sell better being in milk...even if it's a little? I got lucky this year selling does in milk - AND as it turned out it was to someone I'd sold goats to before. Same person who came back and bought the buck this past weekend. I love repeat customers!

But, sounds like you've made a good decision! Less goats are usually better (unless it's at my house, lol)!

What is this thing you call a "vacation"? :hu

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They've been listed in milk for a few weeks and no replies so, no lol. No one's buying anything right now except lowballers that resell or bring to auction. But I'll leave 'em up for sale and at least I can cut their grain if they're dry.

It's easy to get someone to feed 4 goats, some chickens and pigs for a long weekend. Not so easy to get someone to milk!