NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I came home to a flooded front pen.....a hose ruptured while I was at work. UGH! I hate to think how long the well was pouring out gallon after gallon of water. Chickens are enjoying cooling off walking through the puddles.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh noooo! That's awful! My well would be done, lol we have a shallow dug well. It does great but that would be stressful for it!

Went to visit the GG's this evening and they were climbing all over me. I've never had goats so friendly. I never really adored my goats before, now I get why people love their goats lol. My others have always been very sheep-like, and may occasionally stand still long enough to be pet (except Clifford, he loves attention, and Patty when she wants something lol). I just love them. I really hope they grow well and turn out to be good milkers for us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm glad the GG girls are turning out to be such sweeties! Yes, a sweet goat is just a treasure, lol. Maybe I exaggerate? Nah!! I can't wait to see how they milk too!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's pouring again! So much water! DH thought it was supposed to be nice and left with shorts and a t-shirt thinking he was siding a house in the sun. Now, downpour! Lol oops. I really need to get a few bales of hay, so it better stop. Lucy the GG had a rough time with the green hay from this year and my last round bale is getting sketchy with the humidity so we need to go grab a few bales of last year's hay for her and Gidget. I will transition her to fresh stuff but I'm trying not to overwhelm her at this point.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Rain....what can ya say? Around here it's either too much or not enough - looks like ya'll are getting those conditions too.

Is Lucy all better now?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She has some clumps this morning but I may have gotten over excited about re-introducing grain,even though I tried to do it slowly. Acting normal, for sure. My plan is to finish the rounds of ivermectin and then bring a fecal to the vet we trust. The FB crazy goat people have me convinced she's doomed, lol. My fear now is that she will be stunted but if so, she'll be a pet.

My tomato plants are HUGE! I've never been good at growing tomatoes but they're great this year. Tons of green tomatoes, the test is how they ripen.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stunted from a few days of scours....not likely! I've got a Nubian doe that had mucho problems for MONTHS and just didn't seem to grow at all. She was a triplet and was always 4 - 6 inches shorter than her sisters. I looked at her over the weekend and she's the same size they are now. Lucy should grow to her genetic potential even if she's a week or so behind. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No well more stunted from having coccidia. Because I don't know how long she had been exposed before I caught it. People are paranoid and negative ya know, lol. And they make me paranoid! Haha

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If her condition is good right now - if she's fat, slick, and shiny - there will be NO long term problems. I have spoken - so shall it be! :lol:

Did the vet that did the first fecal and/or the second see coccidia in the sample? If not - I'd chalk this up to the hay change and not worry too much about it. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They did, they gave me the sulpha stuff. Which, then they said she still had coccidia after. But the vet thought if we got rid of the barberpole she'd be able to kick the coccidia. So that's why I got the Toltrazuril. But, she stopped scouring before I even gave her the Toltrazuril so I'm pretty sure that's not why she was scouring. I don't know, they didn't give me a count of anything so for all I know all the panic is over two eggs, lol. Hence the swapping vets.

Anyway her condition is great. Her attitude is great, her appetite is normal. I don't see anything that makes me worry too much.