NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Homemade maple syrup is the only reason I can think of for living up north.......nah......still not enough reason to stay.....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere on this forum about heritage turkeys and the prices they fetch. Definitely a good option to look into!

Pigs are awesome, but year round? If you raise some feeders over the warm months, butcher and process them before winter sets in... You have a freezer full of meat and you don't have the hassle of having to feed the parent stock over the cold months when the weather's otherwise and the days shorter. Another thing is feeding them. In the warmer months food is plentiful and we all know pigs will eat just about anything.

Makes perfect sense to me :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had turkeys for a few years but haven't sold any, just breed and raise them for ourselves, but I think it's a good way to go. Plus my husband really wants to help preserve some of the rare breeds. I am not a huge poultry person, as far as handling them, so it's his thing (I feed them and collect eggs but that's about it), but he likes it.

Absolutely, I have NOT enjoyed keeping pigs this winter. They eat so much to maintain weight in winter, I'm going broke! Lol. Also we don't have pasture for them so we have to move them constantly in good weather, so in winter they're kind of stuck in a small area which I don't like. We have a great source for piglets here in NH and if we move I am sure we can find someone there to buy piglets from.

Also, we have 6+ inches of snow and it's still snowing hard. Bleh.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cannot fathom that much snow, for that many months.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH is totally beyond in agreement about the pigs now that I went off on a tangent about parasites, deworming, iron shots and the general unpleasant things about keeping pigs year round, woohoo!.

Looks like the snow will melt quickly, a lot did yesterday and it is MUDDY! Warm today, rain tomorrow and Thursday, spring will be here soon I think.

The first doe I'm waiting on for my potential buckling was due yesterday. Now the waiting game...

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weather forecast for next week says temps in the 60's!!

That's t-shirt weather in NH!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still no news on the buckling, doe code!

It's raining and windy today. My goats have figured out how to knock over their hay feeder to make a toy out of it. So that will need to be secured, crazy goats!

Gearing up for seed starting, most likely this weekend. Hoping for a better year than last year in the gardening department!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silly goats! Mine have a tendency to re-purpose a few things also! Hope your seed starting goes well. I think there were a lot of gardens that were disappointing last year. Hope that changes this time around!