NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, I remember her and her sheep. We're pretty set on Shetlands though. There are plenty here, just tend to be a little pricey for quality ones. We'll find a few before winter I'm sure!

I am asking DH to get "fixed" lol. I can't use hormonal birth control, so I'm afraid of getting myself fixed. I've heard of people having issues with hormonal responses to that, and I don't want to mess with it!

The lone Cornish chick that my broody hen hatched out is totally a roo. Bummer!
It is a lot easier for the man to get "fixed" than the woman, LOL. I had my tubes tied after the birth of my 2nd baby and had no hormonal issues.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You make that Apple Crisp yet? This diet crap is kicking my butt! I want me some SUGAR! But I'm holding strong... so far.

How does DH feel about getting 'fixed'? It really does make more sense...much, much easier for guys. (easy for us to say, huh?)

So, me not being a sheeple, I have a question....are Shetlands the triple whammy of sheep?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, they're not. Shetlands are tiny and mostly for fiber. They're small (75-100lb ewes) and easy to handle and DD1 is obsessed lol. I only want fiber pets to start with. Then if I like raising sheep I'll get Icelandics (triple purpose) and I kind of want some Black Welsh Mountain sheep. Yeah... random rare heritage breeds are my style lol.

DH doesn't care about getting fixed. I mean... he is dreading it but I had two natural childbirths that he was there for so.... I think he knows it's his turn! Lol!

Yep, chicken soup. It's been cold and rainy all day, could have used some today!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like Shetlands will be a good gateway breed. I like heritage breeds too.

Good for DH...! Yep, compared to childbirth I don't think a little snip, snip would be a big deal.

Can't believe ya'll are cold... We're not quite as hot - but nowhere near cool. Ugh...and supposed to pour tomorrow.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going to warm up a little today, then back down to the 60's. My favorite weather!

We might be getting a little tractor! DH is going to talk to his dad about it today, he has one he really never uses. We would be able to plow, mow, move buildings and dig with it, and fix the driveway because mud is bad here. Really hoping he has a price in mind we can live with! And that we can get it before winter, we have so much left to do!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm getting a tractor! ! Yay! I don't even know what he wants for it yet but he wants us to have it so he will make it work, lol.

And DH is getting a job. With insurance. And maybe a work truck. Yay!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't think a little snip, snip would be a big deal.
The snip snip is not a big deal, but according to the two men I heard from who had it done the afterwards is a different story.

I'm getting a tractor! ! Yay! I don't even know what he wants for it yet but he wants us to have it so he will make it work, lol.

And DH is getting a job. With insurance. And maybe a work truck. Yay!
Fantastic! Tractors are so handy, you will find plenty to do with it once you got it and congrats to DH on the new job!

Latest posts