NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah it's not fun, and we told them they should do something before "someone " called (you can see their animals from the road). They have chosen not to. They got more animals (calves) today (DH 's friend called him to vent lol) and DH freaked out a little. We have a larger arsenal than them but I'd prefer not to use it, lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love babies, toddlers not as much, but mine was :love Amazing! I waited for the "terrible two's" and I'm still waiting. He's just been so great and easy. I've been blessed.

You and DH are doing the right thing reporting those people. Hopefully there won't be any trouble in it for you guys, but like you said, the animals can be seen from the road, so it could've been anyone… ;) Good luck!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoyed the two's with my kids and now we have the youngest grand daughter that is two and just precious. They are just so darn cute!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A friend of mine here has a 2yo DD and she's just simply adorable :love I'm slowly letting her get to know me well enough, so I can babysit. Mom has a new BF and wants to spend time with him and I'd love to play doll with the little one now and then. It's very unlikely that I'll have another human child myself.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, today is day 6 of strange minor sore throat, no other cold symptoms and no one else in the house is having issues. I declare it allergies! Lol

Sheep and wool festival was meh. We got to see the herding dogs in action, which was cool. But oh man, the hipsters. I don't know, maybe we're antisocial woods dwellers but some of these people.... wow. DH does not public well, so the crowd wasn't exactly his cup of tea. Lol, but DD got to see some alpacas (her favorite) and I found a new sheep breed I love. That I cannot afford so there's that, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Alpaca's have fiber, right? And, they are so darn cute! What is the sheep breed that you love? I do love me some lamb...wonder how sheep would do in my swamp?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A forum member on BYH has some sheep wool she wants to give away...says no longer going to do spinning? MAYBE she has equipment to sell cheap? Interested? Ridgetop, she's in CA

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes alpacas have lovely fiber! Gotland sheep, very expensive. They are importing semen into the US and breeding up. They're lovely but lowest price I've seen in my short search is $500, and they go up to $1000. Yeah I'm looking for like $200, lol.

Some breeds are pretty hardy, others so are not. The hair sheep and the old breeds are hardier, Sheep from wet areas (shetlands, etc) do pretty well. you might have an issue with woolies and mud though,lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Definitely could NOT do woolies here - yikes. If...and that would be a huge IF - I'd go with a hair breed. I did have a sheep once that we raised to butcher and I loved the meat. That was a Dorper lamb and it was quite delicious! I hear the St. Croix is very parasite resistant. But, not even going to think about it for awhile, lol. I've got enough going on...

Gotta go Google Gotland sheep. (say that 5 times real fast!)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol right, you do have enough going on! Someone I know is going to have boer/Nubian crosses in the spring.... so tempting !! I don't need that right now though lol!

Wow, too bad shipping would probably be horrific. Sounds like a good deal for someone though!