NH Homesteader's journal

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Get that sucker butchered! You'll like him a whole lot more when he's in the freezer and NOT making mud, lol! Yay - tomorrow sounds about as much fun at your place as it will be here.... ugh.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually my husband said his boss wanted him to work tomorrow (so he'll have Monday off instead), so we'll postpone the shots and hooves and have even more fun doing it when it's in the 70's Monday! Oh and he has to so a pig grain run tomorrow also, which is a time consuming event.

Well here in lovely NH we have to wait until the ground thaws so we have a way to dispose of the carcass, and after Monday it should be thawed enough. My goal is to do it Wednesday, when it cools back down to about 55-60. Then we can cut, grind and wrap and have him in the freezer by the weekend. Riiiiight.

So tomorrow I will likely either make soap or head up to my mom's house and spend some time looking up homeschooling resources. My daughter is cruising through my preschool curriculum and will be ready for kindergarten before I know it... And she isn't technically due to start kindergarten for another year and a half. Ahhh dangerously smart kid!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for 70's! We're already over 80 today...sweat, pant...

I never thought about having to dispose of the carcass....who'da thunk it? But, it makes sense. I've never made soap - how hard is it?

Yep - smart kids are scary, lol! It's a good thing though.... but scary!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's not super hard but I'm scared of lye so I overthink it haha! I haven't done anything with colors yet, since I'm just making it for us, but I would like to learn for when I try to sell it.

Yep good thing, for sure. I let her choose what we study next so it's butterfly time, haha.

Definitely melting snow out there today!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of butterfly time - I found some caterpilllars yesterday.

Turns out they are caterpillars of the Great Leopard Moth. Who knew?
upload_2017-4-9_12-51-4.png

This is what they turn in to:

upload_2017-4-9_12-52-17.png

Cool, huh!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whoa! Crazy! My aunt is moth obsessed, I need to show her that! I am not a moth fan, they creep me out lol.

Second doe I'm waiting on for a buckling is due today. Come on girl!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My aunt said we have those moths here but they're kind of yellowish, she loves them. Who knew?

My gang of 8 hens laid 8 eggs today! And then I broke one... Oops. They're loving free ranging, not that I know what they're finding this time of year, and the roo seems to be calmer. Except when my husband is around, he hates my husband. One of my dogs is scared of him, which is amusing because he has never been aggressive to her. She's just neurotic.

So tired. Lots to do tomorrow. Think I'll go to bed early.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay chickens! That would be my luck to break one... but they're never wasted. Either the chickens scarf up one that I drop - or one of the dogs gets it.

Get some rest!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score