NH Homesteader's journal

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
6 months of snow-no way. Heck we don't even get 6 days of snow!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are 7 months of the year snow doesn't surprise us. 4 of those months we're usually snowed in for a fair amount of them (December through March). Then April is mud. Just... mud and melting snow lol.

Oh I forgot to add, we're getting two free pigs this weekend . They're not very old or very big , but we'll raise them until the temps drop and probably grind the majority of them up. We just ran out of ground pork! DH's work friend from the skiway has to get rid of them because the town said he can't have pigs at his house. oops?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Free meat is good. Do you use the ground pork like hamburger? I use the ground lamb in my cooking instead of hamburger. I love lamb tacos!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yay, hay guy saw some of the moldy hay and said he'll replace all the moldy hay with dry round bales, he has some from another field. Works for me. I figured he'd work with us, he's known DH since he was in diapers!
That's great news!

Here, generally a dusting once and maybe 2-4 inches once a winter. That is more than enough for me. Every few years we get a foot and it might as well have been six foot. Our area isn't equipped for it.
Same here. Anything over a dusting and it's panic and chaos. Up to a few inches and we're talking 80% country shut down, like we had in February.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to add, we're getting two free pigs this weekend . They're not very old or very big , but we'll raise them until the temps drop and probably grind the majority of them up. We just ran out of ground pork! DH's work friend from the skiway has to get rid of them because the town said he can't have pigs at his house. oops?
Free meat? Awesome! :thumbsup

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes we use ground pork in place of hamburger. I like it better, actually.

DH is doing an amazing job cleaning up the yard (he's kind of a hoarder lol), scrapping projects we'll never get to and getting rid of stuff we don't need. He's done a bunch of work to improve drainage so maybe we will have a passable driveway in the spring. woohoo! We will be ready for winter this year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So yesterday I scrapped my homeschooling plans and we're changing gears. Gotta love freedom to do that, lol. So we're taking a week off (except what DD wants to do) and will start again differently. There's no requirement in my state for kindergarten anyway, so I don't even have to be teaching her this year. I have great new ideas and am reading about some of the educational philosophies I want to know more about. Fun fun!

I have been going back to trying dairy, partially just because it's hard to avoid it when everyone else in the house loves it. Bad plan, lol.

Having issues with the neighbors again, their dogs keep showing up in our yard. It's starting to really irritate me , grrr.

Latest posts