NH Homesteader's journal

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, I still have a lot of minis!! Mine have gone to nursing homes & stores with great results. I sold a mare to a lady years back who let her in the house all the time. She had a rug at the end of a couch where she liked to lay and she'd go to the sliding patio door to be let out & in. I've had them in my house before. Once I took one to a event in a limo! What a hoot! All planned...:cool:

They do learn to hold it and let you know they need a potty break, if they are used for such events. Besides, they generally want to christen the clean trailer, so are pretty empty at arrival.:lol:

Yes, I still remember my first horse!!! LOVED that guy.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband was friendly and chatted with them once (not our neighbors, people from elsewhere). Bad idea. They started coming back every week. We put up a No Trespassing sign (we wanted to do that anyway). They drove past it and asked DH if the sign was for them! Lol he told them to please stop coming and they did. Different one came a few months ago and I pretended to be really holding the dogs back and barely cracked the door. They were freaked out. Haven't seem them since.

Love the alligator!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH has always wanted us to do the same thing....and I'm all for it! I think its a wonderful way to give back. Most of us are lucky enough to have the basic necessities (and more) taken care of in our lives - so why not help those who don't?

What we have done here (at work) is to identify students in our program whose families need that kind of help. We put together meals for them and deliver a day or so before Thanksgiving. We've even paid electric bills for families. We hear all the stories here....dad got laid off from one of his jobs...the other job is minimum wage and 20 hrs a week...mom is in the hospital and can't work...mom has handicap child and can't work...dad died... just one tragedy after another. Most of our students are low income and have more challenges than they deserve to deal with at their age. That's life - right? But, it's a life that we can help make a little easier - so it's what we do. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1120171159f.jpg
We have 3 walls!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks! The goats (and the goat farmer!) will be very happy when it's done! I told DH that the longest we will have til baby gets here is 9 weeks, because of the gestational diabetes they won't let me go past 39 weeks at the latest... Most people at this point are stressing out about decorating the nursery... I'm stressing out about my goat barn!:lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My house is two-story. I painted this house - by myself - on a ladder - with a paintbrush after my divorce. It took a long time....

I have never liked heights, but I climbed an extension ladder with a bucket of paint in one hand. I wrapped my arms around that ladder, shaking like a leaf, and painted a tiny section at a time because I could NOT make myself reach or stretch with my free hand. I shook so hard I was afraid I'd shake the ladder down. But, by dang I did it just to prove I could and by dang I will NEVER do it again. However, just to prove I'm not a total wuss - I will get on the roof of the feed room that comes off the barn. It's only about 10 feet tall and I can do that....but I'm talking about a REAL roof, a REAL BIG roof that I will not do. I'll do a lot of things...I HAVE done a lot of things, but nope - no roofs!

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure DH was a little over-confident lol. I'm thinking tomorrow is more likely. Hope so, he has to do a roofing job Wednesday through the end of the week! And next week is going to be COLD! So he'll probably be off making snow.

Today for whatever reason I had a freakout because I've been so worried about getting the farm ready for winter, I haven't worried enough about the actual human that is coming in... 8 weeks at the latest but they expect sooner. So glad they come out immobile because this house is not going to be remotely child proofed lol!