NH Homesteader's journal

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some cool slings for that when she's a tiny bit bigger! I'm fine with multitasking with a baby on the hip during the day, it's more of an issue at night. But today I'm using her as an excuse to sit my behind on the couch lol!

I have to brag on DD1 here. The kid is being amazing. She goes and gets a diaper ready when it's time to change, if baby fusses when I put her down she sings to her. She's being very cautious and helpful. A miracle for a suspected ADHD 5 year old! Keep it up big sis!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No oxygen tonight and she slept from 10-4, woke up and ate and just fell back asleep. Oxygen levels tend to drop when sleeping so tonight is the test! So far, so good! The nurse is super happy, we've had the same night nurse the whole time. She is only on 25% of the fluids she was on before and I think they plan to take her off those today. She is a rock star! Tough kid! Like she would be any different!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I used to haul pigs IN my little hatchback car years ago… Stopped by my mechanic one day with some weaned piglets in feed sacks in the boot. I got out and walked up to him and his assistant to talk with them and I saw he copped on what the noise was, but his assistant didn't, so I decided to have some fun with him. I said to him "Deverick, there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with my car this time! Listen to her!" He looked at me, looked at the car, walked to the car (looking puzzled and slightly alarmed), stopped, looked at me again, looked at the car… Clearly trying to figure out the noise. We all corpsed. It was so funny! He knew the sound of piglets squealing, but coming from the car it threw him.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We pulled out the two pork shoulders from a pig we butchered to smoke and bring to DH's boss' wedding this weekend. That made a lot of space! It should be way more than enough so we'll probably keep some here for ourselves. I need to figure out exactly what's in there, or one of these days I'll be awfully upset when I go to make pork chops and they're all gone!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
20181218_160035.jpg
20181218_155907.jpg
20181218_155857.jpg
20181218_155935.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks sumi!

I am trying to get some sort of routine down for dinners. I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel every week. Now that DH is on a more routine schedule, I feel like I can do that. Not the same meals every week but go with the meatless Monday, taco Tuesday, pizza Friday thing lol.

I've been married 8 years, we've been together almost 10... and he just tells me last night that he doesn't really like onions. Men...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
yay! so happy to hear from you! you sound busy!

• I'm healthier than usual
  • I have been sewing clothing for myself.
  • My budget exploded and I need to reel it in
  • Sloooooowly losing weight
  • Butchered all the chickens, sold more sheep
  • Sheep are bred, no breeding accidents this year, thank goodness!
  • Harvested venison and lamb, freezers are full
  • Seed catalogs arriving in the mail!
  • DS12 is doing more 4H

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I normally am not one to pay for convenience, but the grocery store I use just started a pickup service. You order online, set a time and show up, they shop for you and bring your groceries to the car and you pay right at the car. Amaaaaazing lol! Grocery shopping in 5 minutes and I get to keep the kids in their car seats? Yup I'm sold! Just got home from the shortest shopping trip ever, I'm psyched lol. Not very SS but it made my day.

DH got 3 roasters butchered, put 2 in the freezer. Our friend took the other one to brine it and will bring it back down to smoke and have a feast this weekend. Guess I should have planned sides before I went shopping. Oh well.

I'm saving my seed catalogs for the after Christmas slump, I get mopey every year after Christmas is over and it's just plain winter. Planning the garden will help (a little!)